Looking to upgrade parents computer...

Haku Mioje

Daemon Poster
The computer they are using is an HP Pavilion a1129n Desktop, its running on the single core 2.2 AMD 3400+... I am wanting to look into hopefully upgrading them to a duel core and max out their RAM(4GB)... would this be possible since it is so old and could I do it for under $100... Not wanting to build them a new computer just get theirs running better and faster... I know the next step would be to build a whole new machine so everything is up to date...

To start it's 7 years old. It would serve still as a web crusier. But if they want to do more than just surf the web then you might consider a more modern HP prebuilt or the more costly DIY build.
But personally speaking, I wouldn't bother dropping money in to that thing. If you want to sell it drop me a PM and let me know.

Better buy a new pc. Considering the age of that pc, i assume it must be running on ddr1 ram which is very costly and buying 4 gb of that will cost you much.

If I'm looking at this right, and I may not be, but it appears that the motherboard does support a dual core chip. However, the ones I can find online are from shady stores, and run like $250. They are also "server" cpu's and they don't always work in desktops.

The ram shouldn't be all that much. Like $25 per stick (but that's still $100).

There are plenty of refurbished computers online:
Dell Refurbished Silver 745 Desktop PC with Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 4GB Memory, 750 Hard Drive and Windows 7 Professional (Monitor Not Included): Computers : Walmart.com

Back
Top Bottom