Graphics card upgrade.

ParalizedTime

Baseband Member
Hi everyone I'm planning on upgrading my graphics card and PSU and this is what I am thinking about buying:

Sapphire HD 7850 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card
£167.42

Coolermaster 700W GX Lite PSU
£59.99

OR

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular PSU -135mm Fan
£65.95

Will the power supply be enough to power this card? Also is Coolermaster a good brand?
Currently I have this card so do you think that it will be worth upgrading it?

Sapphire HD 6570 2GB DDR3 DVI VGA HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card
It cost around £53 but ebuyer doesn't stock it anymore.

Thanks.

Edit:

If the other PSUs are a bit overkill would this be better:

OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W Modular PSU Single 12V Rail 135mm Fan SLI Certified
£50

Or should I spend the extra £10-£15 for future-proofing?

Last edited:
I do know that we cannot tell you whether your psu's are good enough or not. Because we don't know your total system requirements. You would have to provide a full spec of your computer so others would be able to judge.

If you are not overclocking. I have generally found 600W to do it for me, as long as you don't use a high wattage CPU. It should be fine. Also the gpu - the 7850 is well priced for its performance. And I have heard it's quite a good over-clocker (apparently reaches nvidia gtx 570 performance). but in saying that. Does the nvidia gtx 660Ti not tempt you? It is a little more expensive. But you do get more power.

My computer has:
Processor: AMD Athlon 2 X3 450 3.2ghz triple core.
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-MLX
Hard drive: 500gb Seagate
A dvd writer.

I will have a look at the gtx660.

Yes the evga is a good brand. and the reviews regarding this specific card are good as well. i generally find though that all the cards perform at similar levels. the main thing which changes is the cards ability to cool as well as power consumption and noise. but even these don't vary too much. i think the 660 Ti is a good card. But then again. i could be wrong. I hope another forum member would also comment so that we could have more than one opinion here. good luck

also. in regards to your power usage. even with the gpu. im pretty sure you would only need the 500W to power this build, unless you have any radical additions to your build. Even then, the 600W would do it for you. to double check: use this webapp: eXtreme Power Supply Calculator

to put it into perspective. I have a sandy-bridge extreme setup for the cpu with the gtx 680. and i still would not use all of the 750W psu which im using unless I overclock. also. when looking for a psu there are a few things to consider.

1. brand name psu - no-names are unstable generally.
2. 80% efficiency at least
3. the form factor - the atx12v is the most common atm.
4. the types of cables.

if you want to read more into it and learn a little. newegg provides a neat little guide: Newegg.com - Learning Center,Power Supplies

also. if you have more specific questions, again. hopefully another member can help us out. or i will try and answer your questions. best of luck,
Sup

Back
Top Bottom