Hosting My Own Site

ashpash21

In Runtime
Okay so I have made a website for my friend, and is going well so far. It is currently being hosted on 000webhost. But now I would like it to be hosted on a proper domain, like www.webpage.com for example.
Where can I get this sort of hosting? I would like unlimited space and phpbb and MySQL databases, preferably unlimited. I'm guessing that I need to purchase the domain from one place and the hosting from another. Also I would like an email linked to the site.

Can someone tell me the best place to get these?

You need a domain name. You then must point your domain name to your host (wherever that is), so that when people access example.com, they can find your site. Domain name and web host are two different things. It is recommended that you find two different companies for these two things.

I will also say this up front: nothing is unlimited. You will encounter, in your search, that so-and-so company offers unlimited space, unlimited monthly transfer, and so on, but these statements are lies at best. There is always a limit. It is up to you to evaluate what you really need, and find a plan that describes what is offered honestly and is most suitable for you.

You need a domain name. You then must point your domain name to your host (wherever that is), so that when people access example.com, they can find your site. Domain name and web host are two different things. It is recommended that you find two different companies for these two things.

I will also say this up front: nothing is unlimited. You will encounter, in your search, that so-and-so company offers unlimited space, unlimited monthly transfer, and so on, but these statements are lies at best. There is always a limit. It is up to you to evaluate what you really need, and find a plan that describes what is offered honestly and is most suitable for you.

I agree. Nothing is unlimited. Unlimited means simply things will go veeeeerry slow after a while.
Go with Domain Names | The World's Largest Domain Name Registrar - Go Daddy. They are pretty user friendly, and rather honest.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the Love of God stay away from GoDaddy hosting. It's the worst. However for domain names I have mine there. I use NinjaLion for my hosting. CPanel and FTP.

I've always used 123-reg for my domain names and i'm in the market for hosting but never used any paid services.

You'll need to purchase a .com or any other type of domain these can range from $8 - $20 a year . after you do this you'll have to then go and purchase yourself hosting then change your nameservers and upload your files ( site ) to hosting wait about 24 - 48 hrs for domain to pro-gate then your good to go and your site will be on a non-free host that will have a good up-time.

Another thing , stay away from unlimited hosts they tend to oversell , pack their servers with a lot of accounts and don't maintain their servers the right way. Unlimited is just a advertising scheme of catching the customers eye. Stay on budget host that go for a certain group of sites and provide real hosting not no crappy unlimited specs.

For what it is worth. I use mostly Godaddy as my Registrar. For hosting I have several I use and have used dozens of different hosting companies over the years. If money is tight bang for buck hostgator has some great packages. Support is not the best but better then many others. The other cheaper hosting company I like is 1&1.

If you have the funds and want a dedicated server I would highly recommend Liquidweb. I'm on their Storm on Demand server. You can get a fully managed server for a great price. The support there is the best I have ever had with any hosting company. They can and will resolve almost any issues you run into. Great for those who are technical but not experts in much.

Back
Top Bottom