Help with Linux

BikerEcho

Fully Optimized
I am sure there are people on the forum that is much brighter then me when it comes to Linux.
I am a primarily Windows user, but my Favorite OS is Kubuntu. (how did that happen :rolleyes:)
i am not using Kubuntu primarily (gaming and photoshop) and i am kinda new to it. i got to say that so far i love it.

I installed it on my work laptop beside windows as a dual boot setup. I am curious about why a can't via Windows 7 see the partition where Kubuntu is installed, but i can see any of the files on the Windows Partition via Kubuntu.
Why is that?

On windows i have a C drive and a D drive (the D drive is the recovery drive). i can't see a drive to the partition where Linux is installed on. But via Kubuntu, i can see a "MEDIA" drive. within that i can see a "Windows-OS" folder. That folder shows the same things C:\ shows in Windows.
It's a problem to me because my harddrive is split in 2. i have a 320GB harddrive, and i can now only use 120GB when running Windows, but i can use the hole harddrive when using Kubuntu.

EchoNatek said:
I am sure there are people on the forum that is much brighter then me when it comes to Linux.
I am a primarily Windows user, but my Favorite OS is Kubuntu. (how did that happen :rolleyes:)
i am not using Kubuntu primarily (gaming and photoshop) and i am kinda new to it. i got to say that so far i love it.

I installed it on my work laptop beside windows as a dual boot setup. I am curious about why a can't via Windows 7 see the partition where Kubuntu is installed, but i can see any of the files on the Windows Partition via Kubuntu.
Why is that?

On windows i have a C drive and a D drive (the D drive is the recovery drive). i can't see a drive to the partition where Linux is installed on. But via Kubuntu, i can see a "MEDIA" drive. within that i can see a "Windows-OS" folder. That folder shows the same things C:\ shows in Windows.
It's a problem to me because my harddrive is split in 2. i have a 320GB harddrive, and i can now only use 120GB when running Windows, but i can use the hole harddrive when using Kubuntu.

Ok. I know about the first part to your question. The reason you cannot see Linux in windows is due to support partition types. Windows generally runs on either fat32 or ntfs file systems. While Linux will generally run on ext4. Linux is able to read pretty much all file systems, while windows is limited to reading ntfs. Fat32. Fat16.

As for the whole media thing. Pretty much the file explorer in windows is different to Linux. When you wish to access your windows partition in Linux, Linux "mounts" it under the folder MEDIA. You should also see usb's, DVD drives. The media folder is in the root folder. So it's not actually a drive like in windows. Does this make sense?

No problemo. I'm still new in this forum. But I'm trying my best to share my knowledge in the hope that I will learn more. Best of luck.

Welcome to the forum. i hope you will like it here. i sure do. ^^

Do you happen to be very knowledge about linux?
i think i have a very tricky question now.
I am using Kubuntu at work, and we have a cisco accesspoint near our office that we access to get internet. Now, cisco has a web authorization that we need to access and type in our logins. it works fine on any browser we use, and it works fine on crApple and Windows. When i try with Kubuntu i don't get the authorization page when typing in a website or Search for something.
I have tryed the default browser and Chrome. the page doesn't show.

Do you have any idea what could be wrong?
i know this is a little more difficult. I think it has something to do with some Proxy settings or something like that.
i know on ipads we need to setup the manual proxy. we just need to type in "skole.vejle.dk". but this doesn't seem that easy.

Lol, I was so tempted to just write "Need help with Linux? no problem, Grab your Windows DVD".

But, that's just my distaste of Linux and the rhetoric that goes with it. Although, in saying that, I choose to do a work project on the Raspberry Pi in Raspbian as opposed to using an Intel Atom in Windows - I know, I'm a sucker for torture!

Looks as though your question's been answered. There's also the Ext2Fsd (see here: Ext2Fsd Project) driver for Windows in order to read and write to your Linux partition from Windows - although my understanding is that the writing to any Ext volume is still rather immature, but I last used it almost a year ago.

The other part about the drive letters, although it's been answered, I'll expand a little. Everything in Linux is mounted in the "/" "volume", otherwise known as the root drive. This includes access to hardware as file objects and your drives/volumes which is usually mounted in "/mnt" directory. It contains everything in your computer. Whereas Window will mount things in My Computer under drive letters as you are well aware.

Anyway, apart from embedded, server or isolated systems, I have a huge distaste for Linux, but that is my opinion. But I seriously question why you have installed it on your work computer - if things go wrong or need substantial time to correct, you're not going to be able to use it for work. Perhaps trying it out in Virtual Box or other virtualisation software would have been a better idea?

o.0
ok... i have no idea what happen. suddenly it works...
i did mess around with some settings for a long time... and gave up. tried again later to connect.. and now it works.
i guess sometimes computers just have a will of their own.

Edit-- (the text above came before the post above. so connchri did reed that before posting his post. i deleted it becuase i thought the problem started again, but it didn't. sorry... my bad)

Connchri:
XD. sure, i was about to grap the Windows DVD. (or the clone drive we use)

As for my work i use a server and a laptop beside it.
For my laptop beside the server, it just need to be able to use Google Drive and Internet.
So Kubuntu will be fine for my use. if i need any testing in windows, i restart and launch win7. I can see why you think it would be a bad idea to run linux at work where there primarily are Windows Desktops.

i see linux have a very different way to handle directory. fine for me. it seems to work just fine. just need to get use to it. XD

Last edited:
Connchri. you explained that very well. Kudos to you.

Echonatek
you actually tried everything I would have tried: proxy, browser. I mightv tried resetting the network card in linux. Sometimes i find, even in windows, that just using ur computer with other stuff fixes some issues. Because when you use your computer normally, it may neutralise some issue that you had by changing some other random setting somewhere. Anyway. glad to hear it's working now. And while i wouldn't claim to be a linux expert. I have spent a lot of hours just exploring linux (mainly ubuntu) and trying to understand its workings. I do, however, like to use windows mainly (due to the abundance of software sitting on it. I have also found that generally the windows version of certain software is better than the ubuntu as they are generally by a different developer trying to copy the windows product. If you can find software by the same developer, I find linux to be faster (e.g. handbrake). but that is just my opinion.

i'll agree with you.
windows is used by most people, so pro software are usually only on Windows/mac. and if it is on Linux, the developer has a lower priority to the Linux version then for the Windows version.
But we have to give Linux credit for there open source. It's all FREE. that's awesome. also it's not as heavy as Windows, which is Windows biggest flaw by far in my opinion.

oh definitely. and yes thats what i love about linux. the open source. and i also agree: it is really light weight. But what i think is the biggest plus (apart from cost) is that you can do whatever you want, however you want. Unlike windows, where you are limited to what microsoft wants you to do, linux allows you to customise, tweak and otherwise change it in anyway you can imagine. its really fantastic. and thats why I don't consider myself anywhere near pro on linux. there is just so much out there to learn.

Back
Top Bottom