Windows 7 Administrator doesn't have administrative rights.

ThreeZeroSix

Solid State Member
Hello, I am a Linux user but on my Windows partition I have had some issues with installing/uninstalling of programs. This was odd because my user was an administrative user, not a standard one.

I had never had any problems with installing/uninstalling programs before until I tried to uninstall Visual studio 2012 Ultimate. I was given a notification about Error 2203. After a quick Google search I realised that it was a permissions problem and that I could fix this by opening the command prompt as an administrator and typing, "net user administrator /active:yes" and logging into that account to uninstall any program.

This worked for a while but I then had issues doing it from the administrators account as well. I thought since it was a permissions issue that I could create a new account with all the default permissions as I had before. But there was one problem. In the administrators account I can not open "Add or remove user accounts". I have no idea how this is even possible that the administrator has lost administrative rights.

Any help would be much appreciated. I do realise that a fresh start with Windows is an option but I would rather not do that.

Thank you in advance,

ThreeZeroSix

P.S. Apologies for any grammatical errors in my post. English is not my strong point.

It is the hidden Administrator that doesn't have administrator rights. It has the same rights as a standard user. When I try and "run as Administrator" from my account it tells me to type the admins password but gives me no input box to type. Thank you though.

check your UAC settings. it could be that the box is just in a place that you don't see or expect?

I can't open the UAC because it asks for the administrators password but does not provide a box to type it in. The "Yes" button is faded out so I can only choose to cancel it.

ok to start with follow these instuctions

Copy and paste this in to notepad, then save it is AdminReports.bat

the .bat is the most important thing to name it that is the extention of a command line multi function command line base instuctor and tells the computer what to do in code.

Code to Copy

@echo off
color 1f
cls
:A
echo 1)Save Report
echo 2)Disable UAC
echo 3)Enable UAC
echo 4)Enable Master Administrator Account
echo 5)Disable Master Administrator Account
echo 6)Add New Administrator Account Called Temp
echo 7)User Profile Details Report
echo 8)Exit
set /p op=
if %op% ==1 goto 1
if %op% ==2 goto 2
if %op% ==3 goto 3
if %op% ==4 goto 4
if %op% ==5 goto 5
if %op% ==6 goto 6
if %op% ==7 goto 7
if %op% ==8 goto 8
:1
cd C:\Users\%username%\Desktop
net user Administrator> AdminReport.txt
pause
cls
goto A
:2
reg.exe ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v EnableLUA /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
pause
cls
goto A
:3
reg.exe ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v EnableLUA /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
pause
cls
goto A
:4
net user Administrator /active:yes
pause
cls
goto A
:5
net user Administrator /active:no
pause
cls
goto A
:6
net user Temp /add
net localgroup Administrators /add Temp
net user Temp
pause
cls
goto A
:7
cd C:\Users\%username%\Desktop
net user %username%> UserReport.txt
pause
cls
goto A
:8
Exit

Once copied and saved to desktop do the following

01. Double click on the batch file that you have saved to your desktop
02. enter number 1 first
03. enter number 7 second

Once this is completed you will have 2 text files containing information I need to help you further upload that information to the website for me to look over then we will look at the other commands and number to use after assessment of 1 and 7

let me know the results as soon as possible there is also some other software for you to download as well to get you back on your feet.

Kind Regards

First off. Thank you for your time on posting that. After running that the AdminReport cam up with,

User name Administrator
Full Name
Comment Built-in account for administering the computer/domain
User's comment
Country code 000 (System Default)
Account active No
Account expires Never

Password last set 18/11/2012 18:18:44
Password expires Never
Password changeable 18/11/2012 18:18:44
Password required Yes
User may change password Yes