Windows XP computer not found when I try to access it from Windows 7 computer

akfsx

Solid State Member
I have a XP desktop computer and a windows 7 laptop and I am trying to share a printer from my xp computer to the 7 computer. But when I go to Network I dont see the computer. The workgroup on both of the computers are the same and my Wireless setting is set to Home.
Can anyone help me?
AKFSX

Go to Start>Run>type in //computer name or IP Address where computer name/ip address is the computer you want to connect to.

I tried but it said Windows cannot find IP address. Make sure you typed in correctly and try agian. Any help?

AKFSX

Yes, but it said cannot connect to the device so I ran the troubleshooter and my results were: Windows Network Diagnostics
Publisher detailsIssues foundWindows can't communicate with the device or resource IP Address
Windows can't communicate with the device or resource IP Address
It is available but is not responding to connection attempts. A firewall or network security policy on the remote computer might be blocking the connection on port "file and print sharing resource".
Detected
warning.png
Make sure that the device or resource IP Address allows incoming connections for File and Printer Sharing
Completed

Issues found
Detection details
Windows can't communicate with the device or resource IP AddressDetected
warning.png
It is available but is not responding to connection attempts. A firewall or network security policy on the remote computer might be blocking the connection on port "file and print sharing resource".
Make sure that the device or resource IP Address allows incoming connections for File and Printer SharingCompleted
Windows Help and Support can provide more information about Windows Firewall.

Thanks,
I finally got it to work but I have a new problem. I access the computer and I see a printer I want to add the HP Photosmart p1000 so I add the printer and it says cannot find the correct driver. I am aware that the p1000 doesnt have a driver for windows 7 so is there a workaround?
Thanks,
AKFSX

Try loading the drivers from the disc that came with the printer. After doing some reading on the HP support forum it seems to be acknowledged that will work.

Back
Top Bottom