security at home

I quite simply just have house insurance and contents insurance. I mean let's face it if you do have a little lock box or a small safe and a thief finds it it's the first thing they will take as they will presume that's where all the valuables are and they will sooner or later get into it.

Besides my passport and ID information my most expensive items (my CDJs) are too big to fit in any reasonably priced / practical safe anyways.

I have contents insurance as well but as I said even with contents insurance you end up out of pocket and it cant replace some things like family photographs or pieces of jewelry with sentimental value . If British banks still offered safety deposit boxes I would have the jewelry stored in there

I am aware that a well prepared and equipped "professional" burglar could leave with the safe and would be free to open it at their leisure in the comfort of their home , however the setup that I have is designed to protect my valuables from small time opportunists who are most likely not going to come with tools required . The safe is bolted down so after they've broken into the cupboard it is stored in its not a simple case of pull the safe out and walk off with it , they would then have to get it from the bookshelf and wall that it is bolted onto .

Do you not think that even something like a crowbar would take down a safe out of a wall? not particularly well equipped but i know the plaster and walls in my house are quite crumbly and i could see a crowbar with a bit of leverage taking almost anything off the wall?

But then maybe that's my house.

Taking your family photos as an example, if i had them on my side unit sure the burglar might knock it off or throw it / break the frame but is unlikely to steal it however if it was inside a safe it would be highly likely to be stolen.

But each to their own both sides have arguements and i guess it's ultimately down to whatever gives you peace of mind.

the plasters quite crumbly but the bircks beyond that are pretty solid .
if the safe was just attached the the wall though a good smack with a big enough hammer or a screwdriver or crowbar driven between the safe and the wall would most likely seperate the two . However its not easy to get at the join between the safe and the wall because the bookcase is in the way , And even when you have seperated the safe from the wall you still have the small matter of the bookcase that the safe is attached too/enclosed in .

The photographs im talking about aren't physical ones , they are in a cupboard downstairs or in picture frames in the house I agree they aren't a target for thieves but the last 5 or 6 years we have used digital cameras so all of the recent photographs are on the hard drives of laptops and computers which are a target for thieves hence why these are on the hard drive in the security box as well as online .

As well as security as I said some stuff is inside a fire proof box to protect valuable things in the unfortunate event of a fire .
I'm aware that having the safe is not infallible and a thief with the right tools and enough time could bypass the security . Tbh im given more peace of mind by the fact that we have a dog so we are less likely to be burgled

Tbh im given more peace of mind by the fact that we have a dog so we are less likely to be burgled

Amen!
Even if like my dog, it's a soppy old pooch, her bark makes her sound mean and is a deterrent enough.

We have a fireproof safe. We put our passports/car titles/birth certificates/etc in there. It's not screwed down or anything like that.

We have a security system that monitors all the doors and has a motion sensor in our main living room (where you'd have to walk through to get to any part of the house). It's monitored and also includes a sump-pump alarm, a carbon monoxide alarm, and a smoke detector.

Mostly though our peace of mind comes from living in a town of only about 500-600 people :)

Back
Top Bottom