upgrading to SSD, clone OS??

mayhem69

Beta member
Hi, with the prices of ssd's right now, i am considering buying one. I have Windows 7 installed on my Asus laptop that has a 750 hdd.
When i buy the new SSD, is there a way i can transfer all of my files and OS from my 750hdd to my new SSD? Details please, thank you!

While there are solid state drives that come with migration software, and clone kits like this...

Newegg.com - Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2CCA 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) with Transfer Kit

And, there is software like Acronis True Image, that will allow you to duplicate your existing drive on the SSD, I can assure you it is not the preferred method.

The best way is to simply remove your old HDD, install the new SSD, then do a fresh clean install of Win7, all of your Asus drivers, then update Windows, and install your own software.

Several things happen when you do that. First, and very important, is that Win7 will recognize that it is being installed on an SSD, and it will automatically turn off Defragmentation for you. Win7 will also set up "Trim" for your SSD.

When doing a clean Win7 install on a new SSD in a laptop in this fashion, I know of no one who has had any issues. I've done several myself with no problems, and I like no problems.

+1 Hameister. Clean install is the way. To me it's best to install Windows with your wireless turned off and any network cables unplugged. It is safer to do a purely offline Win7 install in this manner. If you want to save time you can always use Windows Updates Downloader to download all the updates for your kernel (meaning x32 bit or x64 bit depending on what Windows you have) as files in advance, BEFORE installing Windows. You can save those update files on a USB stick and use them later on to update Windows offline after its installation is finished.

http://www.windowsupdatesdownloader.com/Default.aspx

Also get the latest drivers for all your devices in advance, BEFORE you start the Windows install. Best to have them saved on a USB stick in advance, alongside the updates. It will simplify the process and it also means that you'll be able to update everything on your fresh Windows installation without having to go online at all.

Once everything is updated make a full backup of your Windows disk BEFORE adding anything else. This way you'll be able to get your system back as it was at this point, if something goes wrong with any program installs. Once the backup has been created and verified, install security software. I recommend Comodo Firewall (free), Avast! Free antivirus, MalwareBytes' Antimalware and KeyScrambler (those last two are not free for the full featured versions, but they are worth buying). These programs work very well together, I have installed this setup on many computers so far without a hickup. Make sure you get them before you start the windows install, and copy them on your USB stick. This way you'll be able to install them completely offline, after your first backup.

Once all that is done go online for the first time, activate windows, get any updates that are left, and update your antivirus definitions. Install any other software you need, then make a second backup (incremental this time, so only what has been added after your previous backup will now be included to your backup files). After this is done make a copy of this backup to a differrent disk, verify both copies to make sure there's no corruption, then store the disk containing your second backup copy away from the computer. This will be your lifeline that will get your system back from the dead in case the disk that holds your initial backup develops bad sectors or dies.

It would also be a good idea to familiarize yourself with light virtualization and snapshot solutions if you haven't done so already. For more info on this have a look at my guide here:

http://thessdreview.com/Forums/software/2247.htm

Last edited:
thanks guys, i will do a fresh install then!!
Still have to buy a ssd, damn Newegg had a 128gb Kingston Hyper X 3K for $60 this morning and they are sold out already!!

As recently as 6 months ago, a 120/128GB SSD was the perfect price point for a laptop. Not true anymore.

Today you can buy a 240/256GB SSD for under $200, such as the Samsung 830 series, or the Crucial M4, or the Mushkin Chronos Deluxe. Often on sale around $179.00. In my opinion, that's the way to go.

What ever you decide, good luck!

thanks guys, i will do a fresh install then!!
Still have to buy a ssd, damn Newegg had a 128gb Kingston Hyper X 3K for $60 this morning and they are sold out already!!

Amazon is often cheaper than newegg but the opposite is also true, depends on the product or special offer at hand. I'd recommend the Sandisk extreme, probably the best value for your buck for a fast SSD. I have three 240GB ones ATM. If the prices keep dropping I dream of getting one more plus a fast RAID card, and RAIDing four of them puppies together...

Newegg.com - SanDisk Extreme SDSSDX-120G-G25 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extre...8263052&sr=8-1&keywords=SanDisk+Extreme+120gb

Newegg.com - SanDisk Extreme SDSSDX-240G-G25 2.5" 240GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Amazon.com: Used and New: SanDisk Extreme SSD 240 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SDSSDX-240G-G25

Last edited:
I don't agree that it's always best to do a fresh install.

If your current installation is working perfectly, then as long as you clone the drive accross and it is alligned property (I assume the software included will do this) then the only thing you then need to do is disable the background defragmenter and enable trim which is done at the command prompt with the following commands:

Enable Trim:

At an elevated command prompt, type: “fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0" then press enter.

Disable Background Defrag/schedualing:

Go to the Start menu and click on “All Programs”, “Accessories”, “System Tools” and “Disk Defragmenter" and unselect the SSD from the defrag schedular.

I'd also disable the super fetcher, there's no need for it and will save read and write requests to the SSD. Go to “Control Panel”, “System and Security”, “Administrative Tools”, and “Services”. Scroll down until you see the “SuperFetch” entry, double-click on it, and choose “Disabled” from the list.

Next, open up the registry; click on the Start orb and type in “regedit”. Hit Enter, and go to “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters”. Double-click on “EnablePrefetcher” and enter “0″ (default value is “3″) to disable the Prefetcher.

That's all there is to it. There's not a difference between doing a clean install and cloning if you do the above, but you'll save loads of time from setting up your laptop again.

I'm sitting in waiting for my SSD today too. Ordered a Samsung 830 256GB for £140. Was going to go for the same SSD as you, as ebuyer.com has it on special offer for £115, but I thought the extra £25 was worth it (Btw, the 830 is now back at £150). Once I get it, I'll be doing the above.

Back
Top Bottom