Upgrade to ssd

"Man, you must have lottsa patience" - I was in his shoes for about a year or more; having that sorta patience isn't easy, but 'net is 'net. ;) Now I have 2.2MBps download speed, over a fiber-optic broadband connection - go me! xD

Here's a copy and paste from a previous post of mine:

If your current installation is working perfectly, then as long as you clone the drive accross and it is alligned property (I assume the software included will do this) then the only thing you then need to do is disable the background defragmenter and enable trim which is done at the command prompt with the following commands:

Enable Trim:

At an elevated command prompt, type: “fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0" then press enter.

Disable Background Defrag/schedualing:

Go to the Start menu and click on “All Programs”, “Accessories”, “System Tools” and “Disk Defragmenter" and unselect the SSD from the defrag schedular.

I'd also disable the super fetcher, there's no need for it and will save read and write requests to the SSD. Go to “Control Panel”, “System and Security”, “Administrative Tools”, and “Services”. Scroll down until you see the “SuperFetch” entry, double-click on it, and choose “Disabled” from the list.

Next, open up the registry; click on the Start orb and type in “regedit”. Hit Enter, and go to “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters”. Double-click on “EnablePrefetcher” and enter “0″ (default value is “3″) to disable the Prefetcher.

That's all there is to it. There's not a difference between doing a clean install and cloning if you do the above, but you'll save loads of time from setting up your laptop again.

I'm sitting in waiting for my SSD today too. Ordered a Samsung 830 256GB for £140. Was going to go for the same SSD as you, as ebuyer.com has it on special offer for £115, but I thought the extra £25 was worth it (Btw, the 830 is now back at £150). Once I get it, I'll be doing the above.

Back
Top Bottom