Do you think the world will end in 2012?

Do You Think The World Will End in 2012?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 17 94.4%
  • Unsure

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
Yes exactly just because a stupid old calender that we don't even take any notice of, I will have to agree there with you EchoNatek it should have according to religions, They that a natural disaster will happen which they have around the world..

yeah. it's just so stupid all this with the end of the world just because someone wrote it in a bible or calender. i found this on wiki that shows all the dates that we know of where we all should have been dead. List of dates predicted for apocalyptic events - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The only real difference with the mayan calendar people or the person you just mentioned from last may is that they set a date to when it will happen, thus making it verifiable.

The mayans set a date for entering a new "age"
probably the closest approximation would be how we entered a new millennium.

if I asked you to write a calendar out now. there's a good chance that you'd write a calendar until the end of 2012, or end of next year.
you may write to the end of the decade, or end of the century, these dates are significant because they mark a new age, it is not the case that your calendar marks the end of the world.

So to answer the original question:
Do I think that the world will end in 2012, no, but neither did the Mayans.

(incidentally, according to the Mayan calendar we're already in the third age, so unless the world already ended twice it seems unlikely that the Mayans were working on a "third times the charm" type scenario of apocalypse prediction)

I like root's reply. The part at the bottom put a smile on my face. "third times the charm"
This is much like reading Nostradamus quatrains. It's a matter of interpretation.

someone has actually voted "unsure".
good luck getting through christmas while being unsure if you are gonna die or not soon.
I didn't vote but, if I did, I would probably vote "Unsure" which is the ONLY valid answer, imo. Nobody knows for certain when the end of the world will occur so trying to answer that question is impossible.

Even though it is possible that you could die in the next second, there isn't any reason for you to worry about it unnecessarily. The same goes for the end of the world, so why should it affect anyone getting through xmas?

I believe 2 things and both are from the time when I still thought that it was "world end" and not just the ending of an age.

First: The Spanish simply killed off the Mayans before they could finish their calendar.

Second: The Mayan calendar did not account for our modern leap years. I forget the exact number of days/years off it is now but if they were right it should have happened by now.

I think it's nonsense.

The world will end or effectively end when either: we wipe ourselves out; an asteroid or comet hits; or in 5.5 billion years when the sun swells up and gobbles up earth. Sure, there's also plenty of other natural ways we could end, but there's none that are apparently going to happen in a months time. Which is good, because it's my friends 28th that night, and I want to enjoy it. :p

First: The Spanish simply killed off the Mayans before they could finish their calendar.

isn't there more than one?

I always thought, (from what I had read) that the calendar is finished, it accurately predicts all days tied to celestial events right up until December 21st 2012.

or as the Mayans would have seen it,
winter solstice, (because it's unlikely that they would have known it as december, not least because they would have unlikely had dec (10) as their twelth month of the year, but also because they would have more likely (as astronomers) counted a 13 month lunar calendar) in whatever year they would have counted.
(which I don't know as I don't know when their last "age" started.)

of course, I might be wrong, the Mayans may have predicted the end of the world.
or they could have predicted an interesting planetary alignment that modern day astronomers also predict for dec 21st 2012.

also the Mayans didn't need to account for leap years, as their calendar wasn't a Gregorian calendar,
they didn't say in x days time this event will happen. they said in x days time this celestial event will happen.
where each celestial event is accurately tied to another celestial event.
in fact we add leap days in so that our calendar doesn't stray from these celestial events, (e.g. june 21st is summer solstice, dec 21 is winter solstice.)

In the same way that given the orbit of Jupiter, and the earths orbit, rotation, spin and wobble modern astronomers can say where Jupiter will be in the sky at a given time on a given day. so could the Mayans.

Back
Top Bottom