Building Desktop, Help Needed

AirsoftG36c

Solid State Member
Heya, guys. My computer's HDD just failed, and rather than fix it, I'm going to try to build my own computer (It's an older computer anyways)

Anyhow. Here's what I'll be using it for:
SOME gaming. (lower tier games, like Lord of the Rings Online, some of the old BF games, etc)
Browsing internet
Watching movies

I do have a budget, I'm not quite sure what it is yet, but it's going to be pretty low

So onto my parts list (which is where I'll be needing the help)
Case:
Newegg.com - Rosewill Blackbone Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Motherboard:
Newegg.com - ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS AM3+ AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
HDD:
Newegg.com - Refurbished: Seagate Barracuda ES ST3500630NS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Memory:
Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model BLS2KIT4G3D1339DS1S00
Video Card:
No idea, suggestions please?
Processor:
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/FM2/AM3+
Sound Card:
No idea, suggestions please?
CD/DVD Burner:
No idea, suggestions, please?
USB ports:
No idea, suggestions, please?
Power Supply:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Fan:
(wasn't this covered in the Processor?

Anyhow, as you can probably tell, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, so please. Bear with me.

Anyhow, thanks in advance for taking the time to check this out!

--AirsoftG36c

I agree on the Hard Drive front, never use a reconditioned one.

I'd recommend that you spend a tiny bit extra and get a 900 series AMD chipset motherboard, purely for future proofing and the higher HT bus speeds, SATA3 etc etc. The 700 series is getting on a bit. And, I'd imagine you'd need a 900 series to use the latest AMD CPU's.

Video card: Get the cheapest Radeon 7850 2GB version. These things can overclock to 1050MHz without a problem and pack a fantastic punch for the price.

DVD-RW - any make, they're all roughly the same price now anyway, and you'll probably hardly ever use it. Samsung or Sony.

Get a slightly beefier power supply - 550W ideally. To choose a PSU, add up the wattage of all your componenets then add a half and that's the absolute minimum you should aim for in a PSU. (Gfx, 125W; CPU, 125W; MoBo & Ram, 50W; HDD & CDRW, 20W; misc, 50W: total roughly 370W, x1.5 = 555W.)

What CPU are you thinking of choosing?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom