Help...

So you don't think i5 will help me play those games it just will help with video editing and the GPU will help with the games but not rendering and that kind of stuff...?

The reason I ask that is because I do plan to upgrade farther....to crossfire with two of the video cards i have and you said it can down grade but what about upgrade because the card is 2.1 x 16 and on the mobo there is 1 3.0 x 16 and 1 2.0 x 16...

Last edited:
yes. as long it is an up to date CPU it doesn't matter too much which CPU you have.
Inside the second: Gaming performance with today's CPUs - The Tech Report - Page 6
Here are some benchmark taken with the same GPU but only different CPU's and motherboards that are as equal as possible.

In order to exceed the limit of PCI-E 2.1, you need 2 very high performance cards in SLI or Crossfire, and even then it's not a crazy difference.
it's more with 3way SLI or CrossfireX with high performance cards where you really can see the potentials of PCI-E 3.0.
at least in todays hardware

yes. as long it is an up to date CPU it doesn't matter too much which CPU you have.
Inside the second: Gaming performance with today's CPUs - The Tech Report - Page 6
Here are some benchmark taken with the same GPU but only different CPU's and motherboards that are as equal as possible.

In order to exceed the limit of PCI-E 2.1, you need 2 very high performance cards in SLI or Crossfire, and even then it's not a crazy difference.
it's more with 3way SLI or CrossfireX with high performance cards where you really can see the potentials of PCI-E 3.0.
at least in todays hardware

Thanks for the link but I think I'm going to go with i5 and that video card then do crossfire later on with the same video card. Just to make sure your saying that I can do crossfire with these even thought I don't have 2 3.0s?

One thing I'd do when you get the new hard drive is make sure it is working in ACHI mode. Far better performance when used in real life work loads.

You can do this once Windows 7 is installed, but make sure you enable it in the windows registry before changing your BIOS setting to ACHI. Do this by:

1. Startup "Regedit
2. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / CurrentControlset / Services
3. Open msahci
4. In the right field left click on "start" and go to Modify
5. In the value Data field enter "0" and click "ok"
6. exit "Regedit"

Once you've done that, restart the machine and enable ACHI in the BIOS for that drive.

Or, you could just enable it before you install Windows. But if you don't do the registry thing before you enable it in the BIOS, if you've already got Windows installed, then Windows is unlikely to boot.

Then re-install the chipset motherboards with the latest version to get the manufacturers ACHI driver running.

yes. the new PSU is better. better brand an more watt.
The reason you chose a PSU with more Watt then you need is because the PSU are gonna be less stressed when powering the system. you will typical hear less noise and less heat will apply to the system via the PSU. Also they tent to be a little more power efficient
but isn't it braking your budget?

Back
Top Bottom