laptop and docking station

curtwood86

Beta member
Hello. I am only semi-literate when it comes to computers, so don't laugh too hard at this question, please! I am wanting to purchase a laptop for my girlfriend for christmas. She will use it as her home computer and also to carry around. She is not a gamer, this would be for general use. (web surfing, bill paying, etc.) Since she will want to use it for a desktop also, I would like to buy one that can be used with a docking station. My total budget is around $800.00, so I need to find a laptop for around $600-650. Anyone got any ideas, or am i dreaming?

If you are looking for a laptop or ultra-book, check out Dell, I'm guessing you can buy from Dell in the USA (I live in the UK)
They sell all sorts of different laptops and you should be able to find one for your girlfriend. I got both my laptops from Dell, and got on well with both. Not sure what you mean by using it with a docking station, but I think you would just need to get a docking station with a 3.5mm jack. Not sure on that though.

Hope you get on well!

You could also try Samsung and ASUS, I think he means use it to view on a bigger monitor like a desktop..

Last edited:
The point to a docking station is that you can attach peripherals to the dock such as monitor, keyboard, mouse, printer, etc... and not directly to the laptop. That way, you simply connect the laptop to the dock and all your peripherals are attached instantly. Likewise, when you want to take the laptop away, it's a simple matter of disconnecting the laptop from the dock and all the peripherals are disconnected.

For my work, I have a Dell Latitude laptop and have docking stations at both my office and home. That way I can use my laptop in either location, with all the necessary peripherals, by simply placing the laptop in the dock.

There are different types of docks. There are those designed specifically for your laptop where there is a special connector that mates with the dock and provides the interface between the dock and the laptop. There are also universal docking stations which make the connection via a USB port.

You can also get what's called a port replicator that is similar to a dock but generally doesn't provide a video connection.

You could also use a "poor man's" port replicator which would simply be a USB hub that you could attach USB keyboard, mouse, printer, etc... to then you only need to plug/unplug a single USB cable and the video connector.

With Black Friday looming on the horizon, the OP should easily be able to find a laptop such as this one: Amazon.com: ASUS A55A-AB51 15.6-Inch Laptop (Charcoal): Computers & Accessories for the stated $600 budget and still be able to buy a universal docking station such as this one: Amazon.com: Plugable USB 2.0 Universal Laptop Docking Station with DisplayLink DVI/VGA up to 1920x1080, Audio, Ethernet, and 4 Available High-Speed USB 2.0 Ports: Computers & Accessories and stay well within the $800 budget for both.

I've found what i am looking for, I think. Found a Lenovo T410 for 599.00 (refurbished) and a Lenovo mini dock plus 3 docking station with 90 watt p/s for 149.00 which keeps me in my budget and gets her a decent setup. Thanks for all the comments and advice!

Back
Top Bottom