Windows XP needs to be reactivated; however, I cannot.

LOLZpersonok

In Runtime
I removed the hard drive from my main computer and placed it into a different computer. Since Windows XP Home Edition SP3 detected that the hardware had drastically changed, it required me to reactivate it.

I removed the hard drive from that computer and put it back into my main computer and it still requires reactivation. Thing is, I've used this Windows XP product key (which is legal, it came with my CD) many times on different computers that I own and can no longer activate any computers using this key.

What can I do since this is my MAIN computer and it will need to be done within 3 days?

The computer does not have a Windows XP COA sticker, it's for Windows Vista.

Last edited:
Try reinstalling XP and see if that does it..

I cannot re-install my copy of Windows using the same key that is on the case. I'd need a different key.

Not only that, but I wouldn't be able to back anything up.

But thanks for the response anyways.

Well back things up first and then get a new version of XP

I can't back anything up. I can get a new copy, but cannot afford a portable hard drive and none of my other computers can contain all my garbage at once without me having to use multiple computers and it getting to complicated and confusing.

You might you have to wait until you can get a new portable hard drive and then back things up and then reinstall Windows

Have you tried calling microsoft to activate it? Just tell them you reformatted after a virus and assuming the key is legit then it shouldn't be a problem.

Have you tried calling microsoft to activate it? Just tell them you reformatted after a virus and assuming the key is legit then it shouldn't be a problem.

I'll try, but I'm usually very nervous about talking to random people over the phone for whatever reason.

Back
Top Bottom