What is the worst os ever made

same here for me. I downgradet back to XP. Even Bill Gates said in an interview that Vista was hes least favorite.

I do wonder abotu Vista sometimes. Was the OS really that bad or was the hardware at the time just not ready to run it?

It was a pretty "fat" operating system, that hogged resources and that didnt like file management at all. But i know when i was offered a replacement laptop for my XP machine that broke they tried giving me a Celeron with 1Gb RAM? I mean that would struggle with Windows 7 as well!

But it was definitely a bad operating system but i do wonder if it would be better on todays hardware?

Yes it was very hungry for resources and the file management system wasn't very good either. It would probably run better on todays hardware..

i'll agree. but we have to look at the OS from the time of release. like if we take Windows 95 for an example, it's a horrible OS now, but back then it was brilliant.

Here's my honest opinion:

'98: This is what I grew up on as a kid, before I was ever "interested" in computers. It ran on my home computer from the time I can remember when I was a kid. It handled everything we threw at it. It took us a long time to get a new computer that had XP on it.

XP: The staple of my late high school & college days and my learning enviroment. Actually what 99% of my work still uses.

Vista: To be fair, I've only ever fixed computers with Vista. I've never run it myself. Given the appropriate hardware I think it did run fine, but like everyone else, I bought into the hype that it was terrible and never really gave it a chance....

7: What we are going to soon at my work. I think this will become the new XP and people will be able to run this until they stop supporting it.

8: Looks solid for tablets and hybrid laptops. Not a desktop operating system.

Vista was a massive jump from XP, it looked completely different and I'm guessing it used a lota more power.

I do wonder abotu Vista sometimes. Was the OS really that bad or was the hardware at the time just not ready to run it?

It was a pretty "fat" operating system, that hogged resources and that didnt like file management at all. But i know when i was offered a replacement laptop for my XP machine that broke they tried giving me a Celeron with 1Gb RAM? I mean that would struggle with Windows 7 as well!

But it was definitely a bad operating system but i do wonder if it would be better on todays hardware?

I think it was mostly hardware not being ready. I only installed it on my gaming machines which were built well. Many people complained that it used much more RAM than XP did (which it did) but it also didn't cache nearly as much to the hard drive so things did run faster so long as you had more than 4 gigs of ram.

Then there was also people who tried to run it on < $400 machines that were disappointed but then everything was sent to a paging file which is god awfully slow: particularly when Vista would swap what it had in ram into the swap file to pull out swap information to RAM for a program you wanted to run.

Man, people, history so easily forgotten.

98 was a great platform, and was about the time I started dealing with administration. Configuring LANs on 98 was no simple task like it is today, but the OS was solid, and ran like a charm for ages. Even gave you that great copy of Weezer's Buddy Holly music video and a few games beyond the usual minesweeper and solitaire.

2000 was an okay platform, but corrupted easily and to date was probably the most hacked / compromised OS.

ME, well, I believe XKCD puts it best: Windows ME and Balmer's Peak. This had to be the WORST OS MS put out, since they weren't ready for XP, and people were itching for a new OS after 2000's meltdowns.

XP was a great workhorse, still used in a lot of places. Not too many complaints from me. Worked wonderfully, was easy to manage with Group Policies, and most people could use it with minimal training.

Vista - like a nagging ex wife or overprotective mother. Are you sure you want to do this? Never bothered to use Vista, since I had read plenty of papers, reviews and such during the beta stages, and knew I would never transition a corporate environment to Vista.

7 - Beautiful, elegant, and operational. No real complaints, been on it since beta, works like a charm!

Worst is ME, followed by Vista, then 2000...

MS also has a history of bad integration. For example, I had one of the earlier mobile device (a Windows smart phone, but not the sort of Windows smart phone that is around the market these days) that was basically Windows ME squeezed into a ~3" screen. The menu was so small that you would have to squint and poke a few times with a touch pen to get things working.

And I just remembered something else: JavaOS. I thought that was pretty horrible. I must have blocked it out of my mind. It seemed like a really good idea, but it was so cluttered that using it brought more frustration than I ever had with any technology.

Back
Top Bottom