Comments on a future build

Nicholas2

Beta member
Hi Guys, I'm kinda new here:)
Could you look at the build I have below and comment if I am choosing some parts wrongly? Thanks

Processor: Intel Core i7 3770 (3.4GHz)
MotherBoard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H Wifi
Ram: 8GB 1600 Vengence CL9
Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX670 OC 2GD
SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 64GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB
Power Supply: Corsair HX750
Case: NZXT Phantom 410
Optical Drive: Samsung 24x DVDRW

Can you guys see if these parts work well with each other and if I require water cooling for my CPU, thank you very much.

P.S. I am not planning to Overclock my CPU or RAM

Thanks!

Hey,

From what i can see all looks fine on that build. Shouldnt have any compatibility issues at all.

In regards to water cooling, no you don't need this at all. The standard fan and cooler that comes with the processors nowa days are absolutely fine, sure it could always be cooler but there is no harm running with the stock fan and cooler.

it also look just fine too me and a agree with ssc456 about the water cooling.

I am however curious about what you are gonna use the 64gb SSD for.
are you gonna use it for SSD caching or as the boot drive?

Thank you for your feedbacks! I was afraid some components would cause problems with another. I'm planning to use the SSD as a boot drive.
However, on the gigabyte website, in the PDF file of the memory support list, there isn't a 4GB ram stick for the motherboard. Since the motherboard is has dual channel for ram, I'm planning to use 2 4GB together to achieve the 8GB.

I think you should look at getting a slightly bigger SSD drive for your boot drive. 128Gb drive's arent that pricey nowa days and you will more than likely be greatful for it later on!

yeah, definitely go with i higher capacity drive if you want to use it as the C drive.
remember that after the drive's 64 gb has been converted to human numbers (so that 1mb = 1000kb, and not 1mb = 1024kb as it is before you convert it when you install the OS) and after windows 7 is installed, you will have less then 40GB left. i'll think you will have about 35GB.

if you want to keep that drive, then i'll suggest using it as SSD caching.

---------- Post added at 10:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 AM ----------

It will have support for 2x4 gig kits. Don't worry about that.

yeah, definitely go with i higher capacity drive if you want to use it as the C drive.
remember that after the drive's 64 gb has been converted to human numbers (so that 1mb = 1000kb, and not 1mb = 1024kb as it is before you convert it when you install the OS) and after windows 7 is installed, you will have less then 40GB left. i'll think you will have about 35GB.

---------- Post added at 10:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 AM ----------

I would also agree; go for a 128GB SSD, it would be better to spend that little bit extra so you are not short of space.

Could you explain SSD Caching? I don't understand much about it.

It's basicly your most used files that will be copied to the SSD. so your most used programs will start to feel faster and faster to start up every time you use them (well.. to a limit ofcause) because more and more files that the exe file opens to make the program work will be copied to the SSD. same thing with the windows startup, it will be very effected by it. games also start faster.
single files should not be faster. maybe of you are using 1 sinlge file allot, i don't know, maybe. try to search SSD caching on youtube, and you will find some videos where they compare SSD caching VS HDD only.
You will have to have the program or game opened at least once in order to feel a difference, because the files are only copied when used. you can't access the SSD when it is used for caching, so you can't store files on it manually, keep that in mind.

Back
Top Bottom