What is a Reallocated Sectors Count

WYSIWUG

In Runtime
Reallocated Sectors Count on my drive is 35, is that bad?

All other elements on the drive get the green light.

And WHAT IS Reallocated Sectors Counts?

Attachments

• dk2.jpg
    dk2.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 5
Count of reallocated sectors. When the hard drive finds a read/write/verification error, it marks that sector as "reallocated" and transfers data to a special reserved area (spare area). This process is also known as remapping, and reallocated sectors are called "remaps". The raw value normally represents a count of the bad sectors that have been found and remapped. Thus, the higher the attribute value, the more sectors the drive has had to reallocate. This allows a drive with bad sectors to continue operation; however, a drive which has had any reallocations at all is significantly more likely to fail in the near future. While primarily used as a metric of the life expectancy of the drive, this number also affects performance. As the count of reallocated sectors increases, the read/write speed tends to become worse because the drive head is forced to seek to the reserved area whenever a remap is accessed. A workaround which will preserve drive speed at the expense of capacity is to create a disk partition over the region which contains remaps and instruct the operating system to not use that partition.

If you would like to read more http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

Ok thanks for the tech reply lol.

Whould you be able to tell me how long until the drive frigs up?

Is it a bad case here? And what? The read/write speed tends to become worse because the drive head is forced to seek to the reserved area whenever a remap is accessed.

By how worse will the speed become?

Last edited:
BTW I just turned up the threshold to 37 - two more sectors and I will buy a new drive.

Does the power on count matter?

Back
Top Bottom