physical memory 93%

darter1

Beta member
hi, I was asked to replace a screen on my sons toshiba c660,which a did, after testing the laptop I noticed it was incredible slow I asked him why it was so slow and he said it had always been that slow since he purchased it from Argos 10 months ago ( it's his first laptop and he is not very computer savvy) anyway I ran an anti-virus scan and spyware scan and nothing was found so I decided to do a factory reset (f8)but the problem is still there, my other son who lives with me as the same laptop ( only difference his is a pro) and difference between then like night and day, I notice that the physical memory is always on about 93% with nothing running in task manager and his fan keeps coming on every minute or so, any suggestions regards D

If you did a complete factory restore and you first boot it up and have memory useage at 93% i would take it back to Argos. If it is under 12 months old you will have no problems.

Simply demonstrate it to them that it is a freshly botoed laptop with no other programs on it other than those thta came with it and it's on 93%.

Honestly i wouldnt know what's causing the problem but it almost has to be a hardware issue.

Make sure that the "system-idle process" isn't using all the memory.

If you sort the task manager by memory, what's the highest process?

None of the reviews I read like that thing. One review from cnet says the cpu chip has integrated memory controller and graphics. If that's the case the video is using up a lot of ram. Lower the screen resolution and see if that frees some ram up. Turn off items like aero.
http://www.computerforums.org/forums/cyber-safety-computer-security/pc-cleanup-toolbox-219988.html
Run everything off that list. That's my toolbox. When I get a new lappy or have to restore one, I run everything on that list to clear out the garbage.

Also programs that load at startup will chew up ram. Disable whatever you don't use or need at startup.

Last edited by a moderator:
None of the reviews I read like that thing. One review from cnet says the cpu chip has integrated memory controller and graphics. If that's the case the video is using up a lot of ram. Lower the screen resolution and see if that frees some ram up. Turn off items like aero.
http://www.computerforums.org/forums/cyber-safety-computer-security/spyware-related-info-114725.html
Run everything off that list. That's my toolbox. When I get a new lappy or have to restore one, I run everything on that list to clear out the garbage.

Also programs that load at startup will chew up ram. Disable whatever you don't use or need at startup.

Quick question Seti. . . . .

how do you know which version of the laptop it is? If i google toshiba c660 i get a couple of different models with quite different spec?

Toshiba C660-21D
Toshiba Satellite Pro C660-21D - Core i3 2.4 GHz - 15.6″ - 6 GB Ram - 320 GB HDD

Toshiba C660-2KH
Toshiba Satellite C660-2KH - Celeron 1.6 GHz - 15.6″ - 2 GB Ram - 320 GB HDD

I could see why the 2nd 1 would get bad reviews but the 1st doesnt seem all that bad.

my sons laptop that works fine is satellite pro c650 18t the slow one is a satellite c660 2e1 I would expect the pro would be slightly quicker but I have also got 2 dell mini 1011v netbooks and they are a lot faster than the c660 2e1 there defiantly something wrong

Quick question Seti. . . . .

how do you know which version of the laptop it is? If i google toshiba c660 i get a couple of different models with quite different spec?

Toshiba C660-21D
Toshiba Satellite Pro C660-21D - Core i3 2.4 GHz - 15.6″ - 6 GB Ram - 320 GB HDD

Toshiba C660-2KH
Toshiba Satellite C660-2KH - Celeron 1.6 GHz - 15.6″ - 2 GB Ram - 320 GB HDD

I could see why the 2nd 1 would get bad reviews but the 1st doesnt seem all that bad.

Intel has a cpu indentifier program you can get from their support section to run on your system. It will tell you what Intel chip you have under the hood.

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

I'd still run the toolbox first. Then if it doesn't perk up look toward the hardware.

Back
Top Bottom