Firewalls

WYSIWUG

In Runtime
Is the firewall in Windows XP sufficient to protect the computer?

Also I want to know what Cyberville thinks is the best free firewall.

IMO, the best free firewall is the one that came as a free built-in feature in your router. Beyond that, I'm perfectly happy using the windows firewall. I haven't had anything bad happen because I'm not using a third party software firewall.

Is the firewall in Windows XP sufficient to protect the computer?

Absolutely not.

Windows Firewall is just as good as the honor system. Not because of any particular design flaw, but if you're a hacker or even a script kiddie, you're going after the biggest target audience and preparing for their defenses. Most people have Windows firewall enabled, so it is the first thing that a true hacker exploits. It doesn't necessarily have more holes than any other firewall, they're just found more quickly and easier to break because everyone is attacking the Windows platform.

Also I want to know what Cyberville thinks is the best free firewall.

Start > Shut down

It's super effective.

No free software firewall is going to be flawless, but a lot of sites swear by Comodo Firewall.

I think you should avoid the mentality of finding "the best" firewall, but rather try to understand how firewalls protect your system. As there are many, using various technologies, e.g., stateless v. stateful, etc. -- and then from there find an existing firewall that adopts the technology you prefer.

You mean people don't unplug their network cable every time they shut down their computer? :p

Haha fair point, although isn't it a BIOS compatibility thing if WoL works to start a computer that is shut down and not just sleeping?

Back
Top Bottom