Keeping threads on-topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech Explorer

In Runtime
Is it incumbent on the thread starter to keep it on-topic?

I follow an easy-going policy of letting posters say what they want as long as what they say is strongly related to the topic. And I'm appreciative when the poster ends off his post with a statement to keep the post on-topic.

I understand that a thread needs to be flexible to accommodate posters which helps strengthen the thread. At the same time though threads can go seriously off-topic, i.e. when posters ignore me or a mod's warning leaving me with no choice but to get my threads shut down.

I appreciate your feedback on this.

It is up to the OP (original poster), the members, and the mods to keep things on topic. It's a group effort. If a thread goes off topic, which happens, it's up to the OP or a mod to decide if it needs closed or if it is fine.

There are no set rules because no one has ever asked before. Honestly this forum has always had a feel of "a group of guys just hanging out together and talking about computers" - "guys talking about guy stuff". There aren't set rules and regulations because they've never been needed. It's a self-policing attitude. Only in the last few weeks have things kind of changed and the forums are shifting away from that feel.

It's not the responsibility of any one person or group to keep a thread on topic, but the responsibility of all posting in it. Heck it seems like about half the time it's the OP who brings things off topic and won't bring them back.

I agree i think it's everyones responsibilty, i mean we are all grown up enough to be able to sustain within the boundaries of a particular subject. Unlike when i was younger. . . . .

When i was younger, i used to talk about just about anything, completely lose track of the original idea of the thread and just go off in my own world. But that was me when i was younger i used to play football alot as well and now, not so much. I don't know what it is maybe it's just becuase i'm working now i don't really have the time to play football?

I mean i leave for work at 6:30 and i get in from work around 6:30, that's a good 12 hour day (if the traffic is good). If the traffic is bad it can extend this to 13 - 14 hour day! But when i finished my days work, i just want to sit down and chill. BUT i can't coz i have washing up to do, clothes to wash, the dog to take out and feed, then i need to cook dinner, eat dinner and then bath or shower. It's a hectic life, and well i suppose that explains why i don't play football so much anymore . . . .. . . . . .

AWWW Tech, poor baby. Let me go see if I can find a crying towel for you.
You post something and then when others respond to your post you browbeat them. You stop short of calling people stupid but in so many words you do. Your opinion is the only one that matters to you. You're think you're right and every one else is wrong.
This is the way you come accross.
YOU, have seriously underestimated the members here. There are some very sharp minds here. When we feel we are being goaded in to getting in your crosshairs we'll shread a thread or ignore it.
You should work on trying to be a part of the group and stop trying to put yourself above it.

I feel that it should be common sense. Like I you make a thread about games, like world of Warcraft for example, and you posted a problem you were having with the game, I think that would be fine, because instead of creating a new thread or forum even, someone might be able to help you there. Now in saying that If you make a thread about wow and discuss runescape, that is going to be a problem.

Whether or not a mod should be hovering over our posts, is up to them. But I think as responsible people, we should determine whether or not if the post we are going to make will bring it off topic.

Just me thinking out loud ;)

Closing this thread before it explodes. Tech Explorer and Setishock, please think about what you post before you post it.

Don't worry about it. You're not a moderator Tech Explorer, so let the discussion run its course.

Jesus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom