SATA/IDE Adapter - 2.5" 3.5" - Capacity?

dominover1

Baseband Member
Hi

Has anyone seen these SATA/IDE Adapters around. Here's a link to one below.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-2-0-to-2-5-3-5-SATA-IDE-HDD-Converter-Adapter-Cable-/170666713183?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item27bc87605f&_uhb=1#ht_3442wt_911

I'm trying to find out what the maximum capacity (Gig's, Megabytes or Terabytes) hard drive I can use on these would be. Have asked the sellers but they give me mixed answers so I thought someone may have used these before.
Any advice on this would be appreciated. Thanks

I have used one of these before for a couple of drives, can be very handy!

Unfortunately i have no idea in regards to capacity limits, i don't see why they would have a capacity limit as they just make your computer see the drive as an external hard drive?

I've used this on a 500Gb 3.5 Sata, 160Gb 2.5 Sata and an 80Gb 2.5 IDE all without problems.

Thanks for coming back. I'll tell you why I think it may have a limit. I remember a couple of years ago I bought a 500gb hard drive and tried to put it in an existing external hard drive enclosure I had, but it just wouldn't work. I took the drive back to the store and was told that I needed a hard drive enclosure which would take a larger capacity hard drive. So I had to buy another one.

That's what I'm trying to avoid now. There are a whole range of these things on ebay. Prices range from $7 to $30 so I'm not sure if the more expensive ones have a higher capacity or not.

I'll initially be using IDE on this but will later use SATA.

What do you think?

Hmmmmm in which case you have reached the extent of my knowledge, i can not personally see why they would have a storage limit but they may well do given your past experience.

I would have thought if there was a difference in storage limit the higher priced ones would be bragging about it, as a selling point?

I remember a couple of years ago I bought a 500gb hard drive and tried to put it in an existing external hard drive enclosure I had, but it just wouldn't work. I took the drive back to the store and was told that I needed a hard drive enclosure which would take a larger capacity hard drive. So I had to buy another one.

One word: Retail.

The adapters / enclosures do not have a hard storage limit unless it is explicitly engineered into them. I own a couple of Rosewill models (Newegg house brand) and I use a few other non-brands at work, and we've used them on everything from old 80GB first gen SATAs to the latest 3TB model drives. They work fine.

A drive connector like this is just an interface bridge. The spec is pretty universal. I think the store was just trying to make a quick buck on you.

Well, it wouldn't work on that enclosure no matter what I did though the smaller drive I had worked fine on the original enclosure. There's definitely a limit on the size you can use. I did hear something today though. The person I spoke to said that there isn't a limit on SATA but there is on IDE? Not sure why.. He wasn't a salesman either.

Anyway, take a look at this link.. It specifically says 1TB.

External USB 2.0 -3.5" SATA Hard Disk Drive HDD Caddy Enclosure For Windows | eBay

Well, I ordered one anyway. At the moment I only have a 500GB drive to test it.. Will see in the future if it will go higher.

Think I might get one of these. Seem quite handy. dominover please let me know if it's any good.

Back
Top Bottom