Problem with trojan and mcafee.

mk814

Beta member
Dont know if this is the right section. Im pretty good with computers but cant figure this one out.
Im running windows 7. I recently found out that mcafee found 4 trojans on my computer. 2 were unable to delete and 2 were unable to quarantine. I went in to where it says they were at but I couldnt find them. I also scanned with malwarebytes and it said the same. 2 ZeroAccess.hi and 2 Generic.dx!bfws.

Mcafee says its still there and asks me to restart but malwarebytes says its not there here is the log from it when it first found it

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.65.1.1000
Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware download

Database version: v2012.10.31.08

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 NTFS
Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421
Administrator :: WIN-N3TA486EGPD [administrator]

10/31/2012 7:13:42 PM
mbam-log-2012-10-31 (19-13-42).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|E:\|)
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 489805
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 21 minute(s), 6 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 3
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\lm32.exe (PUP.Adware.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\SoftonicDownloader_for_podplus.exe (PUP.OfferBundler.ST) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey,

First off mcafee basically is a virus :) I can;t stand that program it's too big, too bulky, too slow and generally more trouble than it's worth. . . . . .

However you have it so i shall try and be helpful.

Forgive me as i'm not 100% familiar with the Mcafee layout these days, but i rememeber it havign some kind of Security Center can you go to this and see if there are any problems?

Good anti virus programs that can't remove the virus while running Windows should give you the opportunity to reboot your system and the for the anti virus program to try and remove the threat before the main windows processes kick in.

The issue you're running into is that you're running both Virus scans from a normal Windows startup.

Boot the PC into Safe Mode with Networking (press F8 immediately after BIOS until startup options appear)

Run MBAM in Safe Mode and that will remove it.

A lot of the newer viruses tie themselves into the OS, making them impossible to remove for AV that can see them, and impossible to see for other AV that is not integrated into the OS itself.

Hmmm maybe they dropped it in Vista and bought it back in 7.

I'm sure i remember a big "hoo ha" about it being dropped certainly in Vista.
As a testament to the stability and brilliance of Windows 7 i have never actually had to use Safe Mode!

I've not had enough experience with 7 to say for certain. We are only just beginning to think about upgrading from XP at my work. I'm sure I'll run into it enough times. To be honest, the only time I use it in XP is when there's a virus or something that I need to take care of.

For the record it's in Vista too: Start your computer in safe mode

I think the big "hoo-ha" you are referring to was simply about Vista -as an OS :rofl:

Last edited:
Hmmmm maybe i'm thinking about the local admin account. Or maybe i dreamt it all have no idea what i'm talking about?

Well I only downloaded malwarebytes because mcafee couldnt take care of my problem. I've tried to go in under safe mode and find it and I couldnt. I also scanned my computer then and it still said the same thing. Mb cant find it anymore but mcafee says its still there. It wants me to restart my computer and scan again but it always comes up with the same results. In my 8 years of using mcafee ive only ever had 2 problems with it.

Back
Top Bottom