Chapter 1. Big Boy Computer (The Idea)

Ellooo,

I had a gaming computer back In the day and sold the parts before going to college for a nice laptop. Wish I didnt do that :facepalm:. I am now in the process of making a much better computer then last time since im making good money now and not 7.25 an hour haha. so this is what i was thinking of putting into this monster.:hide:

Case - Newegg.com - Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Motherboard - Newegg.com - GIGABYTE G1.Sniper 3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

Power Supply - Newegg.com - CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200 (CMPSU-1200AX) 1200W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

CPU - Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K

CPU Cooler - Newegg.com - CORSAIR Hydro Series H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

SATA Drive - 2 x Newegg.com - Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Hard Drive - Newegg.com - Seagate Constellation ES ST1000NM0011 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Enterprise Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Memory - Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL

Ps. Just using newegg to see parts. I will be looking around for the best deals.

Might hook up two screens later on :p. (me dreaming)

I left out the little things like fans and Drives exc... I dont know what GPU's are out there now and what would be best. (preferring 2) Im planing on Putting the 2 x SATA drives at raid 0 and holding Windows on there with other little programs and ill use the 1T HDD for games, music, work and what not. I was reading some other posts on here and other sites about raid and was getting mixed opinions and finally made a account here to talk about it. I also understand that the Corsair 800D case is used for water cooling, even tho I would love to do that in a heartbeat I just dont know where to start with that and please shoot me in the right direction. The case is BIG and simple, plenty of room to do as I please. This is going to be a project for me so its not like im going to buy all the parts at once and build it in a day. So far I have the Case to start out with.

Im BIG in the Battlefield games and GO HARD, on the side I like making music with my buddy using ableton.

"I will be poster the experience on a new thread"

Patrick.

Last edited:
looks really good, although you'll prob be better just getting one bigger ssd (256gb) an not bothering with the raid setup, you'll see no real performance increase as the ssd is uber quick.

the best single gpu's (all thats needed for gaming on ultra) are the amd 7970 or the nvidia gtc 680. (In my opinion the 7970 is better value for no less performance)

Prefer ASUS ROG over Gigabyte mobo. I also would not mess with RAID just get a single 128 or 256GB SSD for OS. See my sig for rest of recommendations. If you get the H100 be sure to use the pre-installed TIM, good stuff made by Dow-Corning especially made for the H100.
P.S. No way on earth a 7970 outperforms the 680, nearly every benchmark you can find has the 680 beating the 7970 by 10 - 15% and the drivers are generally much better.

Sure that PSU is not just a little bit overkill? why not go with a 850W PSU and save some money?

a 3x4 gig kit sound wired to me if you don't have an X58 motherboard.
Why not go for a 4x4 or a 2x8 gig kit so you can take advantage of dual channel on all the modules.
you will have to throw in an extra 5-15 bucks, but i'll say it's worth it if you believe you need more then 8gb.

I happen to use raid0. i really like having it. i am tired of the standard setup of a single 7200rpm harddrive.
but as soon you put in an SSD for the OS, raid0 becomes less relevant. if you where not going to buy an SSD i would recommend raid0.
but with an SSD as the C:\ driven that runs the system files and most used software you might just want so save the money and get a single harddrive and use the saved money for a higher capacity SSD.

Yeah i'd say it all looks fine but that PSU is a big over kill, even the top of the line desktops nowa days with some BIG graphics cards in SLI would probably struggle to use 800 Watts, i would think your machine is going to be drawing around 500 or so, downgrade to an 800 or 850 Watt PSU, save some cash!

P.S. No way on earth a 7970 outperforms the 680, nearly every benchmark you can find has the 680 beating the 7970 by 10 - 15% and the drivers are generally much better.

I never said outperforms? lol. But to be honest, benchmarks mean shite in real world use. I can play any game on ultra with no issues. Its not worth the extra £150 for the 680.

I never said outperforms? lol. But to be honest, benchmarks mean shite in real world use. I can play any game on ultra with no issues. Its not worth the extra £150 for the 680.

I'm sorry ja6on, but i have to disagree about the benchmarks being useless, because that is simply not true. is the 150 euro worth it? well that depends on your needs and preference. personaly i wouldn't have gone with any of those 2 cards. i would have gone for a GTX 670. plently of power to me..

Back
Top Bottom