Laptop CPU upgrade?

Yes, it looks like a wireless adapter to me as well, but cannot be certain, because the photo is so out of focus.

Clear photos are always appreciated.

Clear photos are not possible with the camera I used to take them. It's all I had at the time.

It's fairly obvious what it is anyway, don't worry about it mate :)

The CPU will be underneath a heatsink, under all the plastic casing.

I'm a bit stupid here lol. Would it be easily removed in this particular model? (Eg. It is in a slot or is held down by a clip or something) Or is it soldered on?

I'm a bit stupid here lol. Would it be easily removed in this particular model? (Eg. It is in a slot or is held down by a clip or something) Or is it soldered on?

I looked up your model, it is odd that on a normal sized laptop 15 inches or so, the cpu is soldered to the board and not socketed. You might be able to find a 2ghz+ board on ebay but replacing the entire board is a b*. I recomend upgrading ram and hard drive for noticeable performance increase.

I would sudgest if you want a laptop to learn to take apart and stuff, there is a dude selling IBM R52's on ebay for around $40. I got mine a little cheaper with some missing screws, they are similar in performance to yours, easy to take apart, and the parts and upgrades for these suckers are endless. If you want a real upgrade a T60 with a dual core would be more worth looking into, but idk if he has any of those. If anything just get a core 2 duo based laptop off of ebay, they're suprisingly cheap now a days (windows 8 dropping support on crapton of models? idk)

I looked up your model, it is odd that on a normal sized laptop 15 inches or so, the cpu is soldered to the board and not socketed. You might be able to find a 2ghz+ board on ebay but replacing the entire board is a b*. I recomend upgrading ram and hard drive for noticeable performance increase.

I would sudgest if you want a laptop to learn to take apart and stuff, there is a dude selling IBM R52's on ebay for around $40. I got mine a little cheaper with some missing screws, they are similar in performance to yours, easy to take apart, and the parts and upgrades for these suckers are endless. If you want a real upgrade a T60 with a dual core would be more worth looking into, but idk if he has any of those. If anything just get a core 2 duo based laptop off of ebay, they're suprisingly cheap now a days (windows 8 dropping support on crapton of models? idk)

Thanks for your response.

To be accurate, this laptop has a screen size of 14" or so, I thought it was 13" before.

And I'm not saying the laptop is slow, it's actually quite quick and snappy on Windows XP (Which I'm keeping on it, though Windows 8 would run just fine on this laptop as it does on my netbook), I just want to boost the performance and I'd also want to squeeze out any extra performance for running other programs. It already is running on a 7200 RPM hard drive and 1GB of RAM. This one laptop would take up to 2GB which is kinda low. Depending on the motherboard I could upgrade the laptop to, would that limitation be increased to 3 or 4GB? Or would it stay the same? Not only that, but since the graphics is also soldered on, couldn't that also be upgraded at the same time, again, depending on the motherboard?

Also, am I correct that in most laptop models, graphics adapters (Similar to a desktop computer) on laptops would not be possible, unless external, which is also not easy?

Last edited:
Yes, it looks like a wireless adapter to me as well, but cannot be certain, because the photo is so out of focus.

Clear photos are always appreciated.

:ermm: To quote my Sunday morning football pre-game show:

C'mon man!

I didn't even have to see the pics to know what he was talking about. There's no doubt it's the wifi card...:lol:

As far as upgrading...the only thing you can really do to laptops is add RAM. Most don't support CPU upgrades (as stated) and you can't add video cards. It's pretty much the way it is. The extra GB of ram would be a nice little upgrade if you wanted to, but as you said it runs XP pretty well and if you keep the bloatware off of it, you shouldn't have any issues.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response.

To be accurate, this laptop has a screen size of 14" or so, I thought it was 13" before.

And I'm not saying the laptop is slow, it's actually quite quick and snappy on Windows XP (Which I'm keeping on it, though Windows 8 would run just fine on this laptop as it does on my netbook), I just want to boost the performance and I'd also want to squeeze out any extra performance for running other programs. It already is running on a 7200 RPM hard drive and 1GB of RAM. This one laptop would take up to 2GB which is kinda low. Depending on the motherboard I could upgrade the laptop to, would that limitation be increased to 3 or 4GB? Or would it stay the same? Not only that, but since the graphics is also soldered on, couldn't that also be upgraded at the same time, again, depending on the motherboard?

Also, am I correct that in most laptop models, graphics adapters (Similar to a desktop computer) on laptops would not be possible, unless external, which is also not easy?

On almost every laptop, with some exclusions from dell, and most of the gaming laptop world, the graphics chip is also soldered to the board.

As an answer to your other question, no, sadly there are no other boards that will fit your laptop from toshiba. The 915/910/855 chipset you have will only support 2gb of ram, while officially only 533mhz, people including me have seen slight increase in performance from using 667mhz ram. If your laptop has the 910/915, your hard drive might be sata, and you could swap it out for a cheaper ssd for increased battery life and speed if you had the dough for it, otherwise, you're stuck with what you got :/

Back
Top Bottom