How Much Do You Hear About Bullying In The News?

Too much is my quick answer and I include sexual harassment in that category. Worse than the act itself are the coverups which implicitly condones the act. This is one of those complex problems with no simple solution. Part of the problem is every child is entitled to a basic education here in the US, but how do you deal with the school bully if you can't expel him/her from school?

Even on a current affair shows I hear about it. It is a complex problem, Yes if you expel the person doing bullying from one school they will go to another and bully other students, So it is a difficult problem we face..

One idea I've had is to take all the bullies and throw them into a school together, sort of like a snake pit, but the idea isn't good in part because it would be difficult to stock the schools with teachers who'd put up with these type of kids.

Another idea that's more feasable is to keep these kids at home and teach them there by means of teleconferencing. To those who'd say that kids need to interact with one another to learn to be part of society, I say these kids gave up that privilege when they became bullies and home education is part of the learning process as to what happens when you are a bully. With respect to interacting with other kids in a gym setting, again I say that the bully gave up that privilege when he/she became a bully.

Even on a current affair shows I hear about it. It is a complex problem, Yes if you expel the person doing bullying from one school they will go to another and bully other students, So it is a difficult problem we face..

The problem with society these days is lack of discipline.... Bring back corporal punishment and put the fear of life into them.
But of course that is not going to happen so society is going to have to put up with these things and it is going to get a lot a worse.

Exactly kids are getting away things like a lot, Because we have phones, Facebook, email it is so easy for people to be bullied, MMM do you see a lot of the stories they have on Today Tonight and The Sunday Night Show and shows like that?

Sure have, really sad but then again bullying has been around a long time...even in my days there was bullying but a good punch up usually sorted it out, or the fear of authorities or parents getting involved
I think the problem of today is the social media that we have is not helping the situation.
In my days no such thing as internet or mobile phones, just the good old land line.

Being in a school system, I never hear the end of it. Most of the stuff that parents bring up as "bullying" nowadays was considered part of growing up when I was a kid (and I'm only 26). If we told our parents we were getting "picked on" -as we called it- then they said "toughen up and deal with it". We either lived with it or we threw some punches (I'm a guy) and got on with our lives.

Ok after re-reading I realized I went a little off topic and ranted - but stay with me....

The kids of this generation are lazy, inconsiderate, and want instant gratification. I think it really boils down to this. Babies having babies. What I mean is that kids have babies in high school or right after and they are accidents. The new parents are still young and wild and so they still want to live their lives and go out and party. That means grandma and grandpa get to raise the kids and they have no desire to do it all over again. So they give the kids what ever they want. And when they are with mom (and maybe dad if he's still around) they don't really know how or want to raise the kids either and so they give them what ever the kids want too. What you end up with is a generation of kids used to getting what they want, when they want it.

We're getting there stay with me a little longer...

Raising kids is a very selfless act. You have to sacrifice your time, energy, and money. You give up a lot of the things you want to do in order to properly raise your kids and make sure they are taken care of. When parents aren't ready to sacrifice that and they are still more interested in their own self more than the kids, they end up just giving the kids what they won't so they are quite and keep themselves entertained. This is usually some form of unsupervised technology. As a result kids don't interact with each other face to face. It's so much easier to make fun of someone when you don't actually have to see them in person. Then with no parent interaction from either side it just escalates and escalates until it boils over and explodes - resulting in all the bullying we have today.

Ok so I think I eventually got around to making my point. Sorry about that....

I don't understand the amount of kids killing themselves over being bullied in present times. I'm 23 and when I went to school, I was bullied endlessly from elementary school to high school because I stood out in several ways.

The media attention and sympathy seems to fuel more teenagers to kill themselves. Many teenagers want lots of attention and sympathy for their hardships. Killing themselves may seem to be the best route to get what they're looking for. They just don't seem to think about the fact that their parents and friends are being hurt as well as the fact that later in life, bullies don't matter!

Back a few years ago I had one kid in particular actually reach out to me on FB and apologize for bullying me. I had never given it a second thought since graduation, but he sent me a message saying he was just trying to be a cool kid and now realized how stupid it was to bully me. I of course thanked him and said it was no biggie. Even in high school I think I had more sense than to let the words of kids I didn't even admire, mouthing off to me about my weight, height, geekiness, or anything above.

Now that I'm out of high school, I run a successful business and have a brand new car. I have a fiance' and a wonderful home and we're getting married next year. I'd say it's worth it to stick it out because you never know how life could improve with some hard work, patience, and determination. :)

I don't understand the amount of kids killing themselves over being bullied in present times. I'm 23 and when I went to school, I was bullied endlessly from elementary school to high school because I stood out in several ways.

The media attention and sympathy seems to fuel more teenagers to kill themselves. Many teenagers want lots of attention and sympathy for their hardships. Killing themselves may seem to be the best route to get what they're looking for. They just don't seem to think about the fact that their parents and friends are being hurt as well as the fact that later in life, bullies don't matter!

Back a few years ago I had one kid in particular actually reach out to me on FB and apologize for bullying me. I had never given it a second thought since graduation, but he sent me a message saying he was just trying to be a cool kid and now realized how stupid it was to bully me. I of course thanked him and said it was no biggie. Even in high school I think I had more sense than to let the words of kids I didn't even admire, mouthing off to me about my weight, height, geekiness, or anything above.

Now that I'm out of high school, I run a successful business and have a brand new car. I have a fiance' and a wonderful home and we're getting married next year. I'd say it's worth it to stick it out because you never know how life could improve with some hard work, patience, and determination. :)
Good to hear that you are strong and getting on in life but unfortunately there are others who do not have our strengths and succumb to bullying.

Back
Top Bottom