Which government do you think has governed the best for the last ten years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ah the US...

Unwanted wars, incessant spending, unregulated economy resulting in world-wide economic downturn, most pointless military, most pointless military budget, more money invested in bombs than in healthcare. More invested in some states in Execution than education.

Nah.

Probably one of the more liberal European countries. France, or Germany. Maybe Canada looking further affield. I'd never say the US Government were any better than Mediocre, not since JFK anyway. In the eyes of the world, the US House of Reps are a laughing stock.

Well la de da. Ain't you glad you don't live here.

It has a big part in it. Just like North Dakota is the most successful state here right now (lots of money in oil jobs and not a ton of workers). If there are tons of jobs and not a whole lot of people to work them, then there is a surplus of jobs.

With less people and a smaller GDP, the mining boom becomes a much larger percentage of your GDP.
Part true but in the last ten years with a downturn in world economy Australia is one of few lucky countries that has came away unscathed from Recession & high employment unlike other countries.
As I mentioned the mining boom has played a part but our nation does not rely on mining alone.
Our previous Liberal government did a great job managing our economy, can't say much for our present minority Labour government with their idiotic policies.

Last edited:
Israel, just try doing some terrorist sh1t there. Also a very inventive country.

I would say the US, but that would make me prejudiced i.e. I don't do any traveling. We're quick to criticize so here's your chance to say who you think has done the best job.

Ok you say the US
Why would you say the US apart from the fact that you live there ?
I mean in the past 10 years the the US government has presided over the following foreign policy disasters
  • Started an illegal war in Iraq
  • Triggered a global economic downturn
  • been widely implicated in extraordinary rendition and torture (See 2006 council of europe report or 2007 european parliament report)
  • exported the bush doctrine
  • tortured prisoners of war in an iraq
  • caused widespread controversy by using drones against "targets" in pakistan
as for domestic policy
  • bush presided over the first federal execution for years
  • limited funding for groundbreaking embryonic stem cell research
  • failed to ratify a treaty the rest of the world has (Kyoto)
  • up until recently barred homosexual or bisexual people from being in the military (Dont ask dont tell repealed in 2010)
  • supporting the death penalty
  • not reformed a voting system that to many in the rest of the world doesnt make sense

Americas foreign policy is obviously controversial , just look at the number of people worldwide who have protested against the war in Iraq

In terms of my answer to this question I honestly dont know
here are a few suggestions ,perhaps some food for thought
Germany - Biggest exporter of goods from 2003-2008 and now 2nd only to china
Poland- Didnt enter a recession in 08 like a lot of countries and was the only EU state to actually grow its gdp

One of the list of countries that also didnt enter recession including china , India , Iran , Australia .

Controversially you could say Iran ,firstly owing to the fact that the president has managed to keep power in face of the numerous revolutions happening in countries close by , and secondly he has managed to press on with his globally controversial uranium enrichment process almost unchecked by the world community - that being said if you look at his domestic track record you might think otherwise ,

Perhaps the government of the UAE and particularly the constitutional monarchy of Dubai seeing as they have managed to raise the profile of the place so much and make it such a popular tourist destination .

To be honest this is an almost impossible question to answer because there are so many different factors to take into account and so many different issues that effect different parts of the world , for example in the eyes of some in America a US president that outlawed the death penalty would be the best however here in Europe all but one country abolished the death penalty way more than 10 years ago . Besides not one actual government has governed for 10 years , for example in America in the past 10 years you have had 2 presidents , in the UK we have had 3 different prime ministers ,

Ok you say the US
I mean in the past 10 years the the US government has presided over the following foreign policy disasters
  • been widely implicated in extraordinary rendition and torture (See 2006 council of europe report or 2007 european parliament report)
as for domestic policy
  • up until recently barred homosexual or bisexual people from being in the military (Dont ask dont tell repealed in 2010)
  • not reformed a voting system that to many in the rest of the world doesnt make sense

Americas foreign policy is obviously controversial , just look at the number of people worldwide who have protested against the war in Iraq

Poland- Didnt enter a recession in 08 like a lot of countries and was the only EU state to actually grow its gdp

One of the list of countries that also didnt enter recession including china , India , Iran , Australia .

Controversially you could say Iran ,firstly owing to the fact that the president has managed to keep power in face of the numerous revolutions happening in countries close by , and secondly he has managed to press on with his globally controversial uranium enrichment process almost unchecked by the world community - that being said if you look at his domestic track record you might think otherwise ,

Perhaps the government of the UAE and particularly the constitutional monarchy of Dubai seeing as they have managed to raise the profile of the place so much and make it such a popular tourist destination .

To be honest this is an almost impossible question to answer because there are so many different factors to take into account and so many different issues that effect different parts of the world , for example in the eyes of some in America a US president that outlawed the death penalty would be the best however here in Europe all but one country abolished the death penalty way more than 10 years ago . Besides not one actual government has governed for 10 years , for example in America in the past 10 years you have had 2 presidents , in the UK we have had 3 different prime ministers ,

To answer your question, I need to see things firsthand to make a determination. I haven't visited many countries (just Canada for brief periods) nor have I lived in other countries so by default, it has to be the US for me (which does take care of me).

Last edited:
...sociopathic billionaire mormon...

Ya know, I enjoy threads like these. They give me a window into the level of knowledge, experience, and sophistication of each member as they express their opinions.

Darkseeker has some how determined that Mitt Romney is a sociopath. He is also a very wealthy person which of course is something to detest by Mr. Seeker, who isn't nearly as successful in life. And, let's not forget that he's a Mormon, that's a very astute observation, that certainly has a direct bearing on his ability to perform as a leader.

Then there's Mr. Muz with his long rambling diatribe, that denigrates nearly everything in American life. It makes me wonder what side of the coin our young university intellectual would choose when the United States bailed out his country from certain collapse during WWII.

Every country is/has/will be, both good and bad, in it's handling of both domestic, and foreign policies over a period of time. Just look at Germany, now good, but 70 years ago evil.

What I find particularly repulsive, is the level of animosity that exists between members of different countries, each of whom have plenty of issues with respect to their own country.

This thread asks the question, "Which country to you think has governed the best..." And, instead of a positive approach the pointing out those countries that have made some excellent governing decisions. Many of you use the thread as an opportunity to bash every one you obviously despise.

Pretty lame...

Reactions: MMM
Well Muz, I want to respond a little more fully to your thread. Since I was inquiring about governing, this implies taking care of domestic matters so I can disregard about half of your thread. When you mention about the US having two Presidents (from two different parties) over the past ten years, this is true, but this doesn't mean that the government has changed in the US because it's still a republican form of government under both Presidents.

The fact that we had elected both Presidents is a plus for the US. Could have made the length of time 20 years or 5 years, but felt that 10 years was the right length of time. If you disagree, then set up your own thread. Also for those who try to tear down governments, you're really tearing yourselves down. You would do much better to pick your candidate government with some kind words about it.

Ok you say the US
as for domestic policy

Why the savage attack on the US, your own country has a poor history of domestic and foreign policies.
If you think it is an impossible question to answer then why answer at all.

to start with unlike tech explorer (nothing personal btw) I was not saying that my country has been governed the best during the past 10 years . tbh in relation to my country over the past 10 years we too have entered into the illegal war in iraq , been guilty of not respecting human rights in favor of "anti terrorism policies" , and for a period of the last 10 years we had Gordon brown as prime minster whilst a very capable and acomplished chancellor he was a particularly uninspiring prime minster . Then of course for the last 2 years we have had a coalition government which has presided over numerous shambolic chapters .

so just to set the record straight I have not set out on a one sided attack against america with the view that my country is perfect I was merely questioning another members view that their country had been the best governed in the past 10 years

going back into the discussion about that - Tech explorer in the 21st century I dont think you can just examine a countries domestic policy to assess how well it has been governed . Especially when you are talking about a world super power such as the US . The fact remains that even if you disregard half of my post over the pasty 10 years your government has entered into an illegal war in Iraq , this for many people has made America out to be a troublemaker in the middle east .
As for domestic policy I just cited a few that I remember reading about and that surprised me .

I apologize if it came across as a savage attack against America but I just wished to use examples to display why I think the US has not been the best governed over the last 10 years as I said its a difficult one

As for Mitt Romney , I dont despise him because he is a mormon or because he is wealthy or any of that , Btw wealth is not a sole means of measuring success . That however is one of the problems with the world today people think success is only measured by wealth. I despise him because he has certain political positions for example his stance on abortion is intolerable to me . Or I could cite his attack on Human rights in china whilst in another breath claiming that he would want to double the capacity at guantanemo bay in order to highlight hypocrisy in his policies .

Hameister - If you are going to time and time again refer to my opinions as diatribe you yourself are showing yourself as lame and I will not be prepared to enter into a discussion with you .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom