Cant install XP ??? CONFUSED ???

arsenalbates

Daemon Poster
I have a dell dimension e520 that needs XP reinstalled. Put in xp home cd and it loads the bis and bobs it need and then says at the bottom starting windows. This stays there for about 5 seconds and then i get a blue screen with error code ending in 07b.

I have tried testing RAM and clear although i have also tried them individually in different slots.

I have removed the HDD and booted from CD and still BSOD's

I have tried a cd that has the sata drivers and still am getting BSOD

I am about to try another DVD drive just now but does anyone have any suggestions ?

Change the SATA settings in the bios to ACHP (or whatever the letters)...or change it from that to the other setting.

Change the SATA settings in the bios to ACHP (or whatever the letters)...or change it from that to the other setting.

I have had a look in the bios for that setting but i can seem to see it, i will have another look and get back to you now.

Wooo, cheers buddy, it wasn't quite what i was looking for in the bios. Just had to change the raid settings, the sata drive said it was using the raid settings and by changing the raid settings to auto or something like that has made it work.

Thanks again :):)

Glad it got you to the right area. I dealt with this all the time when I was imaging computers until I figured out it was usually a quick BIOS setting change that made them work.

Glad it got you to the right area. I dealt with this all the time when I was imaging computers until I figured out it was usually a quick BIOS setting change that made them work.

Yh, I did read else where that it could be caused by that setting in the BIOS but what I was looking for didn't match the instruction exact so I skipped it thinking it wasn't on this BIOS.

Just installing SP3 now and shell be good to go :)

You should slipstream SP3 into your XP CD (if it's one you use over and over). Then you don't have to go through it everytime. Just a thought...

also do you know if you can use a xp pro cd and use a xp home key so that it just installs home or do you need two separate disks/versions.

Pretty sure the slipstreaming is easy enough. There are plenty of guides and free tools out there. It took me a few tries to find a method that worked but since I only did it once and it was awhile ago I don't remember how, sorry.

Not sure on the second part.

Back
Top Bottom