Computer randomly restarting

kzr22

Solid State Member
Hi, for the past week or so my custom built computer has been randomly restarting with no BSOD. The event viewer shows it as loss of power. It seems to be entirely sporadic. I tried running Prime95 to duplicate the issue for about 5 minutes and nothing happened. I went back to browsing the web for like 15 minutes and it restarted.

The only thing that has changed recently was the addition of 2 4gb ram sticks. I do not recall whether or not the issue occurred before they were added.

The computer is about three years old so my first guess is a failing PSU unless there is something wrong with the RAM but not sure.

Computer specs are:
Windows 7 64 bit
Amd 3.2ghz x6 1090T black
GTX 560
BFG Tech GS-550W PSU
GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P
2 2gb sticks DATA XPG DDR3 1600 RAM
2 4gb sticks Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600 RAM

All help apreciated
Thanks!

EDIT: Running memtest86+ overnight will update when done

Last edited:
You're running completely mis-matched memory from different manufacturers...

Besides the different silicon, they're also different density, and probably different timing as well. Sometimes you can get away with that. Sometimes that kind of memory scenario will create issues, such as you're experiencing.

Why not just remove the sticks you recently added, and see if that resolves the problem.

If you have your existing ram put it back in or just remove the added ram and see if your computer still plays up, if not then you will know if your new ram is the cause.

As Hameister mentioned, the new ram might have compatibility issues with the other ram or with motherboard.

Last edited:
You're running completely mis-matched memory from different manufacturers...

Besides the different silicon, they're also different density, and probably different timing as well. Sometimes you can get away with that. Sometimes that kind of memory scenario will create issues, such as you're experiencing.

Why not just remove the sticks you recently added, and see if that resolves the problem.

I thought this might be an issue but a friend told me that since the motherboard runs two sets of dual channel ram slots its okay to mix and match.

Also Memtestx86+ reported 100% pass.

I will try removing the new ram next

UPDATE: PC just crashed after the removal of the new ram so we can rule that out I guess. Kind of relieved since I just bought it ^^

So if its not the RAM I guess the next logical progression is either PSU or MOBO. How can I go about testing this? I don't currently have another PSU to try but, I will work on getting one from a friend.

Any Ideas?

Try the PSU one from your friend, also has there been any other changes to your PC such as software or drivers when this problem started?

Try the PSU one from your friend, also has there been any other changes to your PC such as software or drivers when this problem started?

Nothing I can think of. Ill talk to my friend.

UPDATE: PC just crashed after the removal of the new ram so we can rule that out I guess. Kind of relieved since I just bought it ^^

So if its not the RAM I guess the next logical progression is either PSU or MOBO. How can I go about testing this? I don't currently have another PSU to try but, I will work on getting one from a friend.

Any Ideas?

How about if you leave the new RAM in and remove the old?

Check the setting in the BIOS. If the computer is overclocked, return it to stock speeds.

How about if you leave the new RAM in and remove the old?

Check the setting in the BIOS. If the computer is overclocked, return it to stock speeds.

It's not overclocked, ill try just the new ram. Still working on finding another psu

Back
Top Bottom