Have you ever deliberately stiffed someone?

Tech Explorer

In Runtime
Whether it's a server, a barber, a mover, a repairman or whatever; some occupation where a tip is customary. What happened to provoke you? (I never stiffed anybody. Unlike my other tipping thread, this one was inspired by a radio show)

Last edited:
Just once that I can think of, yes.

A bartender was serving my fiance' and I during lunch time at a restaurant. We weren't drinking but we were seated and I guess they were short staffed at that time. He proceeded in flirting with her and literally staring at her from the bar.

If we both needed refills, he'd pick up her soda and fill it... I'd have to ask two or three times for mine.

If I left anything, it might've been a dollar but I'm pretty sure I left nothing. I know I called the manager as we left and complained.

I go to a bar on thursdays sometimes that has half price pitchers, and it gets busy around 9 or 10. But sometimes I am there before then, and if you get there early, there are waitresses to serve you. Around 9, you have to go to the bar to get drinks and the waitress just disappears. So I don't always tip there.

What is "stiffing"? Sounds like American lingo that I don't know. xD

I'm gonna guess that it means not paying a tip? As I understand it, it seems like in America it's customary to give people extra money that they didn't earn, over the money that they did earn; personally, and I think I speak for the majority of us Brits, I don't see the need for it, by which I mean, I don't feel the need for it. If I tip someone, (which is once in a blue moon) it's 'cause I feel like it, because I felt kind, or something, IDK.

I rarely eat out that much anymore but when I do I only ever leave a tip if it has been earnt by service that I am happy with , but say for example like last time I went out and eat I am left for an exceptionally long time waiting for food and there is no water/waitress seen for literally ages when its not that busy I wont leave a tip and I usually wont eat there again , I understand fully you expect a degradation in service when somewhere is busy but when its relatively empty on a Sunday evening I expect the best service ,

When it comes to drinking out again I rarely drink out now but when I do I go to the same place every time and I know the barman there so I always give him a tip but he does provide extra good service because I am a regular
Almost always when service is added on automatically I will also ask that it be taken of and then not leave any tip because that kind of attitude towards expecting to just get a tip seems arrogant and the tip is rarely earnt in my view

Back
Top Bottom