Windows 8 Help

makromoo

Beta member
I'm going to purchase a custom built desktop: I'm a win 7 user. I personally don't like it but might as while get used to it as it's the future of microsoft :( . It has no os loaded, since M.S. changed it's way of business... does it mean I first have to buy win 7 then buy the upgrade.

How is the compatibility of games with win 8 ?

If you were going to be doing some gaming I would stick with good old Windows 7, I am not going to be switching over as some of the games I play aren't all compatible with Windows 8..

Being a user of Windows 8 Final for the past two months now, I just went back to Windows 7 last night. If you're gaming, then absolutely get Windows 7. Windows 8 performs well, but has a very hard time with games for some reason. I have a very powerful gaming rig and played Diablo 3 on Windows 7 with no lag, highest quality. Windows 8 was like playing GTA on a netbook. There are a few here that will swear by benchmarks (even though they have very little, if anything, to do with the OS), but first hand experience with graphics rendering between the two has really turned me off to Win8. Also, the Metro interface is a joke for a desktop. They are also using it for Server 2012 which is beyond understanding.

Windows 8 is useless. It's support for Games is dwindling by the day as we find out more about it. It's a tablet OS, and unless you're building I tablet I highly recommend you stick to Windows 7.

Show me proof. The reason its game support is dwindling is cause of the developers. Not cause of the OS.

Being a user of Windows 8 Final for the past two months now, I just went back to Windows 7 last night. If you're gaming, then absolutely get Windows 7. Windows 8 performs well, but has a very hard time with games for some reason. I have a very powerful gaming rig and played Diablo 3 on Windows 7 with no lag, highest quality. Windows 8 was like playing GTA on a netbook. There are a few here that will swear by benchmarks (even though they have very little, if anything, to do with the OS), but first hand experience with graphics rendering between the two has really turned me off to Win8. Also, the Metro interface is a joke for a desktop. They are also using it for Server 2012 which is beyond understanding.

Ever think that could be due to the fact you are using Generic Drivers and buggy drivers? There is yet to be a stable driver release from nVidia or AMD for video for Win8 Final. A driver that can compare to the 3 years worth of work they have put into perfecting the Win7 drivers that are out today. If anyone remembers the past, which is shown clearly here they dont, Win 7 also sucked at games when it was first released. Why? Driver support. Everyone said to stick to XP cause of this simple fact.

So instead of casting stones and saying stuff that holds no truth cause you are comparing things that are no where near the same levels, try saying that maybe with proper driver support things will get better.

If you can show me 1 driver from nVidia or AMD for any of their products that is as stable as their Win7 counterpart, then I will say your right. But the fact is you cant. The OS is 3 days old now, and despite you having it for 2 months that dont mean jack. No manufacturer was working on driver support for the Final Release Build. Cause it was not available by the masses. Now that it is, they are.

So no Win7 is not better for gaming just cause of the OS itself. It is better cause of the support it gets from developers and manufacturer's. Since everyone decided to judge Win8 on its looks and drop it from images they seen, it is their fault if it fails to be good at anything. At the end of the day it is a solid product. Much like Benchmarks have little to do with the OS itself, the lack of support from nVidia and AMD have everything to do with the low FPS in your games.

So really what I am saying is maybe instead of casting your 3 day old child into the garbage, you can give it some time to mature a bit before you cast it out. Maybe nVidia and AMD will surprise you and get drivers out that will make Win8 rival Win7 in performance.

Show me proof. The reason its game support is dwindling is cause of the developers. Not cause of the OS.

Ever think that could be due to the fact you are using Generic Drivers and buggy drivers? There is yet to be a stable driver release from nVidia or AMD for video for Win8 Final. A driver that can compare to the 3 years worth of work they have put into perfecting the Win7 drivers that are out today. If anyone remembers the past, which is shown clearly here they dont, Win 7 also sucked at games when it was first released. Why? Driver support. Everyone said to stick to XP cause of this simple fact.

So instead of casting stones and saying stuff that holds no truth cause you are comparing things that are no where near the same levels, try saying that maybe with proper driver support things will get better.

If you can show me 1 driver from nVidia or AMD for any of their products that is as stable as their Win7 counterpart, then I will say your right. But the fact is you cant. The OS is 3 days old now, and despite you having it for 2 months that dont mean jack. No manufacturer was working on driver support for the Final Release Build. Cause it was not available by the masses. Now that it is, they are.

So no Win7 is not better for gaming just cause of the OS itself. It is better cause of the support it gets from developers and manufacturer's. Since everyone decided to judge Win8 on its looks and drop it from images they seen, it is their fault if it fails to be good at anything. At the end of the day it is a solid product. Much like Benchmarks have little to do with the OS itself, the lack of support from nVidia and AMD have everything to do with the low FPS in your games.

So really what I am saying is maybe instead of casting your 3 day old child into the garbage, you can give it some time to mature a bit before you cast it out. Maybe nVidia and AMD will surprise you and get drivers out that will make Win8 rival Win7 in performance.
Well, I can't speak for AMD, but nVidia has had at least three driver releases for Windows 8 and had them available since the RTM was released to MSDN and Technet a couple months ago.
Most desktop users find the GUI a rather bad kluge at best. Might be different for the touchy-feely crowd using tablets. And if I had a touch screen tablet I'd probably be using Android, certainly not MS's first attempt.

I was able to get MS windows 8 for free from school because being an IT major we have to have everything on our computers with updated technology. I installed it and found out that my wireless card evidently did not support windows 8 even with the updated drivers. I did call Trednet and let them know about the problem and they said that they would not have new drivers for windows 8 for another few weeks or so. You would think that these companies would have been working on new drivers for the new OS for when it was released, I am however just going to go out and get a better wireless card to see if that will fix the problem. Other than this little inconvenience I was playing around in the OS getting used to it and also installing new software and I found it to be quite easy to navigate. I also like the way you can toggle between metro and desktop format. It will come in handy I can use the desktop screen for school and work and metro for play. I have read many many complaints about the OS in the online forums like Yahoo tech, and other such places and there are to any people complaining that they did not like it. But, you also have people that post responses that say they are tech savvy but arn't you can tell in the way that they write their reviews on the subject. And when you get into the technical jargon when asking them about why they feel this way they just come back with a " your stupid" or " your spelling sucks" and other such remarks. I think that people are on there just trolling around. I have talked to other people that have been in the world of computers and technology since before I was even born. And they all said the same thing. It is a good strong OS and will only get stronger as time goes on. People need to give it a chance and instead of after three days of using it scrapping the program and wasting 40-150 dollars that they could have use elsewear.

I was able to get MS windows 8 for free from school because being an IT major we have to have everything on our computers with updated technology. I installed it and found out that my wireless card evidently did not support windows 8 even with the updated drivers. I did call Trednet and let them know about the problem and they said that they would not have new drivers for windows 8 for another few weeks or so. You would think that these companies would have been working on new drivers for the new OS for when it was released, I am however just going to go out and get a better wireless card to see if that will fix the problem. Other than this little inconvenience I was playing around in the OS getting used to it and also installing new software and I found it to be quite easy to navigate. I also like the way you can toggle between metro and desktop format. It will come in handy I can use the desktop screen for school and work and metro for play. I have read many many complaints about the OS in the online forums like Yahoo tech, and other such places and there are to any people complaining that they did not like it. But, you also have people that post responses that say they are tech savvy but arn't you can tell in the way that they write their reviews on the subject. And when you get into the technical jargon when asking them about why they feel this way they just come back with a " your stupid" or " your spelling sucks" and other such remarks. I think that people are on there just trolling around. I have talked to other people that have been in the world of computers and technology since before I was even born. And they all said the same thing. It is a good strong OS and will only get stronger as time goes on. People need to give it a chance and instead of after three days of using it scrapping the program and wasting 40-150 dollars that they could have use elsewear.
Of course, I have no idea what planet you are from, but if you think toggling back and forth between the GUI and the desktop is easy, I strongly question your experience with more that just a couple operating systems. Win 8 for the desktop is NOT a very good fit, especially as this is MS's first attempt. Maybe the touchy-feely tablet crowd will like the RT version, but I prefer Android over Win 8 RT any day.
As far as performance goes, I'll post some performance benchmarks I ran later.

Here's performance test win 8 vs win 7, all hardware remained same, all defaults, clocks, etc. Latest updates for Win 8 and vidcards. System in my sig.

Winders 8

Back
Top Bottom