Are you using a popular password?

jmacavali

Fully Optimized
Hopefully not. Here's the top 25: (story)

password (unchanged)
123456 (unchanged)
12345678 (unchanged)
abc123 (up 1)
qwerty (down 1)
monkey (unchanged)
letmein (up 1)
dragon (up 2)
111111 (up 3)
baseball (up 1)
iloveyou (up 2)
trustno1 (down 3)
1234567 (down 6)
sunshine (up 1)
master (down 1)
123123 (up 4)
welcome (new)
shadow (up 1)
ashley (down 3)
football (up 5)
Jesus (new)
michael (up 2)
ninja (new)
mustang (new)
password1 (new)

Actually I think the best practice you can tell someone is to use a sentence. Then pick the first letters of the words of the sentence. Better yet use 2 sentences.

Like this: Timps.Cyhi? = This is my password sentance. Can you hack it?

Easy to remember but harder to crack. All those office people could even use the kids names if they put them in a sentance.
MknaB&T = My kid's names are Bill and Ted.

It's what I do anyway :thumb:

password (unchanged)
123456 (unchanged)
12345678 (unchanged)
abc123 (up 1)
qwerty (down 1)
monkey (unchanged)
letmein (up 1)
dragon (up 2)
111111 (up 3)
baseball (up 1)
iloveyou (up 2)
trustno1 (down 3)
1234567 (down 6)
sunshine (up 1)
master (down 1)
123123 (up 4)
welcome (new)
shadow (up 1)
ashley (down 3)
football (up 5)
Jesus (new)
michael (up 2)
ninja (new)
mustang (new)
password1 (new)

Actually I think the best practice you can tell someone is to use a sentence. Then pick the first letters of the words of the sentence. Better yet use 2 sentences.

Easy to remember but harder to crack. All those office people could even use the kids names if they put them in a sentance.

Good advice, and thanks.

In the Department of Defense (DoD) a strong password must be 15 bytes long, have at least to upper case letters, two lower case letters, two numbers, and two special characters. Needless to say, it took me awhile to come up with a sentence or phase to met that specification, LOL. Now, top that off with the fact you must change your password every sixty days, and you can't repeat a password until you've reached the 6th iteration!

DoD uses 15 character min because Windows stops hashing after 14.

Before we implemented our password policy, it was a running joke that a tech and I that worked together would walk up to any machine and type password, and booya, account unlocked. We had a security firm come in and 75% of the 800 passwords were, 'password'.

We have an Ex-NSA hacker at our company now and the force is strong with him. Much has been learned, and he was even unable to break my password... so far.

Last edited:
I was on the Air Force Inspector General's team for a short time and went out with the team whenever IT was involved. I once had to inspect a system and needed the master password so I could do my search. Well, the two guys who were entrusted with it were out. So, I sat down at the control monitor station, typed in the install password, and it worked! Needless to say, they were a bit embarrassed as every install guide you'll ever read/use instructs you to change the install password as the second step, LOL!

password (unchanged)
123456 (unchanged)
12345678 (unchanged)
abc123 (up 1)
qwerty (down 1)
monkey (unchanged)
letmein (up 1)
dragon (up 2)
111111 (up 3)
baseball (up 1)
iloveyou (up 2)
trustno1 (down 3)
1234567 (down 6)
sunshine (up 1)
master (down 1)
123123 (up 4)
welcome (new)
shadow (up 1)
ashley (down 3)
football (up 5)
Jesus (new)
michael (up 2)
ninja (new)
mustang (new)
password1 (new)

My password is not that hard but I am glad that it's not in this list...:)

It wouldn't be very secret if I used passwords like that. -.- So thank God, no, I'm not using such a password on anything I use.

Back
Top Bottom