Saving to desktop

starik

Baseband Member
I have a 128G SSD and a 1T HDD. Windows is installed on the SSD. Is there any way I can configure things so that when I save things to the desktop, it puts them on the HDD instead of the SSD?

Hi,

This is unverified as i've not done it for myself but i've had a quick look on google and found that this can be changed in a reg key.

Open regedit (start / run / "Regedit" / enter)

then browse to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

and in the right hand side you should see an entry for Desktop. Change this and restart.

^ Yes, it works, or at least, that method works, but I haven't analysed it enough to say 100% that what ssc456 said works. Also, there's a possibility that your OS may affect whether that works or not. Also, ssc, you shouldn't really ever recommend someone editing the Registry without first making it clear that they should make a backup of it. ;)

Anywho, a program can do this easily for you, just get TweakUI, for free.... give it a Google.

It's not a big deal, I probably won't do it. I just wanted to conserve space on the SSD. I'm using windows 7

Back
Top Bottom