Computers dropping like flies!!

rmp5s1

Baseband Member
My desktop started acting weird when I switched from Kingston Hyper X to some 2133mhz G. Skill Sniper. Started crashing, bsod from time to time, sometimes the RAID0 would say there's an error and it wouldn't boot back up then it'd work fine, all kinds of weirdness.

Well...finally one day, it BSODd and that was all she wrote. I hit the reset button which had become routine and it came on...for about 3 seconds, then turned right back off, then turned back on, then right back off, then...

You get it.

Now, that's all it does. I've pulled the CMOS battery, unplugged EVERYTHING from it, you name it. Starting to think the MoBo is fried. Thoughts?

Anyway...that's kinda whatever. What gets me is this:

My buddy brought his computer over for me to fix a little while after the ordeal with my machine. Turned it on, was poking through the BIOS, all that crap as usual. Turned it off and unplugged the power, plugged in a SATA CD drive to install windows real quick, hit the power button to turn it back on and it's doing THE SAME DAMN THING MY MACHINE IS!!

I've unplugged EVERYTHING and SAME THING! Both machines, I have to physically unplug to get them to stop turning on and off again!

What the hell? Anyone have any ideas? Any would be greatly appreciated!

Are there any other forms of paranormal activity in your house? That's almost scary.

Unless this is a coincidence, with odds of about 1,000,000 to 1, there would have to be a common denominator between these 2 machines. I'll have to give this some thought after I have a first cup of coffee.

I've racked my brain trying to think of why this would happen...everything from someone playing a prank on me (my wife and I live alone...so no...) to possible power surges (both puters were plugged into power strips and DIFFERENT wall outlets!) and can't think of anything.

Don't panic you do not have to get the ghost buster in just yet.
This is a memory problem and now cannot be tested as it has gone too far bad.
What was the reason for changing the memory in the first place?
Why did you go for a different make?
Do you still have the old memory?
When you installed the new memory did you put them in pairs?
The motherboard is most probably ok it sounds like to me that the motherboard does not except that memory did you do a crucial memory scan to check what memory would be suitable for your motherboard before you purchased the memory?
My bet is no
You can check memory with memtest86 and a crucial memory scan to give you all the information you need links are below memtest86 is very good for testing memory.
I am sorry to say yours in not testable any longer.
But worth getting the software.
http://www.memtest86.com/
http://www.crucial.com/uk/
you need also the check the memory was inserted in correctly and all contacts are meeting otherwise you may have shorted the memory sticks.
It is also worth testing the power cord with a multi meter to check you are have the right voltage
UK voltage is 240V
States or USA is 110V
Make sure that this is correct as well
Hope this helps this is all I have with the information I have been given.
Kind Regards
Fujitsu Technician

Don't panic you do not have to get the ghost buster in just yet.
This is a memory problem and now cannot be tested as it has gone too far bad.
What was the reason for changing the memory in the first place?
Why did you go for a different make?
Do you still have the old memory?
When you installed the new memory did you put them in pairs?
The motherboard is most probably ok it sounds like to me that the motherboard does not except that memory did you do a crucial memory scan to check what memory would be suitable for your motherboard before you purchased the memory?
My bet is no
You can check memory with memtest86 and a crucial memory scan to give you all the information you need links are below memtest86 is very good for testing memory.
I am sorry to say yours in not testable any longer.
But worth getting the software.
http://www.memtest86.com/
http://www.crucial.com/uk/
you need also the check the memory was inserted in correctly and all contacts are meeting otherwise you may have shorted the memory sticks.
It is also worth testing the power cord with a multi meter to check you are have the right voltage
UK voltage is 240V
States or USA is 110V
Make sure that this is correct as well
Hope this helps this is all I have with the information I have been given.
Kind Regards
Fujitsu Technician

Thanks so much for the reply.

As far as the RAM, I replaced the HyperX 1600 with some faster G. Skill 2133 because I wanted the faster RAM and it was on sale. There was nothing wrong with the HyperX. Since the machine quit working, I have tried the old RAM and it didn't work either. The old RAM and the new RAM (the G. Skill) both work in my buddy's machine though and the new RAM passed memtest in his machine.

Also...the second machine that decided not to turn on any more is a totally different machine. Different CPU generation, different MoBo, different PSU, different everything yet it's doing the same thing as my machine.

On my machine, I've tried using different RAM, PSUs, unhooking everything, using different power cables, resetting BIOS...everything I can think of. As it sits right now, it is a Rosewill PSU, a MoBo with a stick of RAM, the CPU, the Corsair H60 liquid cooler and a TB HDD. That's it. Hit the power button, it comes on for 3-5 seconds, then turns off...then turns back on for 3-5 seconds, then turns off...over and over until you unplug it.

The second machine does the same thing but worked just 2 or 3 weeks ago. I have no idea what could have happened to it but, if something did die on it, I'm going to be pissed! A - it's not mine and B - it's a $3,000+ machine!

Last edited:
well good new it passed the memory test now we can rule that out.

have you checked the voltage with a multi meter?

here is a video how to do this.

Manually Test a (PSU) Power Supply With a Multimeter by Britec - YouTube

hopefully it passes,

what is the connecton sata or molex connection?

also have you checked the thermal paste levels on the cpu that has been a problem in the past?

good specs on the other pc

when working a couple of months ago I got the same problem and on that board was a common problem with the motherboard and PSU shorting each other we replaced both and now works.

have you also checked the power button settings are correctly positioned on the motherboard and not on the wrong way around.

and finally the other thing to check is a motherboard lights are not orage or red light in and is green and had power.

we will get to the bottom of it for you.

Kind Regards

Check this out as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpmsYrDRcG0

Last edited:
well good new it passed the memory test now we can rule that out.

have you checked the voltage with a multi meter?

here is a video how to do this.

Manually Test a (PSU) Power Supply With a Multimeter by Britec - YouTube

hopefully it passes,

what is the connecton sata or molex connection?

also have you checked the thermal paste levels on the cpu that has been a problem in the past?

good specs on the other pc

when working a couple of months ago I got the same problem and on that board was a common problem with the motherboard and PSU shorting each other we replaced both and now works.

have you also checked the power button settings are correctly positioned on the motherboard and not on the wrong way around.

and finally the other thing to check is a motherboard lights are not orage or red light in and is green and had power.

we will get to the bottom of it for you.

Kind Regards

I wish I had a multimeter! Unfortunately, I don't...so no, I haven't done that.

Is what a Sata or Molex connection?

I haven't checked thermal paste yet...both machines worked for months before they suddenly died. Neither ran hot. Doubt it has anything to do with thermal paste but I'll check it out.

The only thing I can think of is that the MoBo on my machine died. How or why, I don't know, but I've tested everything else I can think of. As far as lights go, everything looks as it should. On the bright side, if it is dead, it would be an excuse to get the Asus Maximus IV I wanted in the first place!

BUT! If the MoBo died on the other machine too just *poof*...out of nowhere, I'm going to be pissed. It's doing the same thing as my machine but just did it all of a sudden. My machine was a gradual degradation kind of thing and it all started when I swapped the RAM. The other machine is not my machine AND the parts for it are INSANELY EXPENSIVE! A friend built it about 6 months ago and went all out. Dropped over 3k on the thing. Core i7-3960X (Paid over a grand JUST for the CPU!), 24GB Corsair RAM (I think), $600 GPU, etc. The motherboard in that machine alone cost almost half as much as my entire machine...

How did you end up with his machine in the first place anyway,
let then make sure we get his up and running becuase if you have fryed his board you will have a lot a saving to do.

can you got hold of a multi meter? they are going for about 25$ and we can start the rule things out. also have you tested his memory? /can you

have you tryed resetting the bios as well.

he may have some Idia as he built it so you might be in luck I Have software that tests all this but you are going to have to change each peace of hardware to find out the corse.

lets face it there are only 7 major components it can be

Power supply

CPU

Motherboard

CMOS Chip

Memory

Wiring

Hard Disk

Graphics card

and north bridge and south bridge on motherboard

and Heatsink and cooling system.

Test each part until you get an answer then once you have the answer shear it with everyone else that has helped and it will solve other peoples problems.
I was asking type of connections IDE/Sata
Kind Regards

Last edited:
OhSnap: Can't boot to ANYTHING. It doesn't even make it to BIOS.

Fujitsu: I have his machine because we are both US Marines. He's in Afghanistan and left it with me while he's gone.

I'll try to get a multimeter asap. Shouldn't be a problem.

Tried resetting his BIOS as well but, since neither machine even gets that far, I don't know if it worked. Mine's simple...pull plug, pull battery, wait a few. His doesn't have a battery so I don't know if his worked at all.

Back
Top Bottom