Baseband Member
Hey guys,

I have started encountering a strange problem.....here it is:

I have a 450W psu, and the specs for my system are:

Gigabyte sm2 LGA 775 mobo
Intel Core2Quad 8400
Sapphire Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR3 GPU
4GB DDR3 EVM 1333 MHz RAM
Cooler Master Heatsink(not a hyper 101/212, etc, but one that is just larger than the stock)
2 80mmLED cooler master case fans

No optical drive, just one add-on wireless pcie card

Ok, the problem is, whenever the PC is working, and i switch on the light/fan/any other switch in my room, the pc just turns off. This happens even if the ceiling fan speed is increased/decreased via the regulator.

I had all the wiring in my room checked TWICE by the electrician who set up the wiring in our house. All other components in my room work perfectly. The laptop works just fine, so do both the monitors.

I calculated the required PSU wattage, and it turns to be somewhere around 240W. My current PSU is rated at 450W.

I then went to my friend's place and checked, and there was no problem whatsoever.

Is there anything to do with the Power cord that connects the power outlet and the PSU?

Please help me out ASAP........this thing is sucking the blood out of me....everytime it happens, i have to pysically disconnect the power cord and connect it back again, and then the PC will start......

Thanks....and cheers :)

Well have you tried a different power supply in that outlet? If you can do that it can tell if its something your comp or something with your outlet.

It sounds like it is getting a surge of some sort. Is it connected directly into the wall or a surge protector?

I would try connecting it into a surge protector once and see if that trips.

Thank you fenix for the prompt response :) Good to know there is someone to look after you!! :)

Okay, i have a spike guard.....and it is connected to the wall outlet.

I will just post some pics of how the wiring is done so you may see the wiring for the computer...

1. That is wall outlet from where the spike guard gets power
2. The spike guard which is then connected to the computer
3. My heatsink and GPU
4. The power cord connected to my psu
5. The main Home Guard in my house showing the incoming reading when i clicked the pics

Here is what i did last night. I again took my computer to one of my friend's, and checked....but there it is working just fine. However, like a dork, i completely forgot to take my power cord, so i had to use his.

So, is there anything wrong with my power cord? What are the symptoms of a faulty or a power cord gone bad? It is almost 7 years old now(Power cord).

Thank you so much and cheers... :)

Attachments

• 2012-10-26-09-24-06_photo.jpg
    2012-10-26-09-24-06_photo.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 2012-10-26-09-24-29_photo.jpg
    2012-10-26-09-24-29_photo.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 2
  • 2012-10-26-09-25-00_photo.jpg
    2012-10-26-09-25-00_photo.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 2012-10-26-09-24-47_photo.jpg
    2012-10-26-09-24-47_photo.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 2012-10-26-09-23-31_photo.jpg
    2012-10-26-09-23-31_photo.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 3
By the sounds of it, what else could it be... Did you try hooking your friends computer up in the same outlet? Or did you try using his power cord on your setup? Those are a couple more things I would try to narrow it down. If it is the power cord then that is really bad luck.

But cords go bad sometimes. Is there any residue on the cord? Like either into your outlet or any where around where the cord plugs into the psu? That could be another thing. I think in this case your going to have to try many options to narrow it down before jumping to conclusions. Wouldn't want to spend money on something and not have it being the problem (obviously)

I agree....

So as u say and as I see it, here is the next to do list :

1. Try connecting another PC to the same outlet using my power cord and another power cord

2. Check the cord for residue

The wall outlets are new...just about 3 months old....and checked twice...so they must be good

I checked for residue.....there does not seem to be any.....

So it is either my PSU or my cord.

I checked the thing in all the rooms....and same problem....and that is the reason I am thinking that the power cord has gone bad.

Thanks and cheers :)

Hey
I checked with my power cord at another place.....it is fine.....

I got a friends PC home, and checked with mine as well as his power cord

I checked with his power cord connected to my computer

But nothing is wrong with his PC....mine conks off no matter what!!!!!! What kind of a strange problem is this???????? I feel like taking it and throwing it out the balcony :-(

That is weird. One more thing I can think of. Try a different power strip in a different outlet. Otherwise I am running out of ideas myself...

This is possibly THE strangest computer thing I have ever heard. :|

I would make suggestions, but they've already been made - can't think of anything else, ATM. >.<

Good luck!

EDIT:

OK, something utterly stupid came to mind: I'm not sure what your living situation is, but if you somehow (if this exists) have some form of electricity supply cap, then this could explain it... maybe, through utter "sod's law" you reach the limit with the PC and some other things on? This is one of the strangest most desperate ideas of come up with. xD Does your mate have the same sorta PSU? I mean.. did he draw substantially more power than you?

Also, I can't help but to think "safety measure" - a lot of houses are given safety features, such as us in our bungalow, if a surge happens, or some other dodgy electric thing, then all power from the house goes out, to avoid dangerous stuff happening, or damaging of gear.. all we need do then is flick a switch, and all is back. What worries, me is that either the electrician that inspected your pad, twice, was either incredibly incompetent, or has already tried and explained all these things.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Thanks for responding.....and sorry i was not able to get back due to my exams.....had my practical exams.....

I finally changed my PSU, and the problem was solved....!!! :D

Now a new problem...i have dual displays....and one of the monitors shows random horizontal flickering lines.....

The funny part is that this happens only on win7....and not on linux!!!!

I tried to change the refresh rates and all....but no help.....

I am using one direct vga connection, and one DVI to VGA converter.....

The monitor that is directly connected to the VGA port is giving me the problem........any ideas???????

This also happens randomly to the second monitor, but very rarely....!!!!

Back
Top Bottom