Computer wants to boot from External HDD

DarkVenom

Baseband Member
I just installed today my new Samsung 830 256GB SSD, and it is blazing fast! even at SATA || speeds, which is what my motherboard supports.

My problem is, when I have my Seagate GoFlex 1.5TB USB external hard drive connected when booting the computer, it tries to boot from that and not from the SSD.

I don't even want my computer to see the external HDD as a bootable device, but I don't know if that's possible. I've set the HDD boot priority in the BIOS, and put the external HDD at the bottom of the list, under the SSD and internal HDD.

Computer specs:

Intel i7 920 Bloomfield | Thermalright 120 eXtreme 1366RT / Foxconn Bloodrage x58 / OCZ Gold 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600 / BFG GTX 260 OCX MaxCore / Xigmatek 750W PSU / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Seagate 500GB 7200.10 / Lian Li PC-V1010B / ASUS VE247H 23.6" 2ms

What about USB devices? Did you move that down too? Move the SSD to the top of the list and make sure it's first.

Why would the SSD be under USB devices? I don't remember seeing the USB devices menu on the BIOS, but I'll check it once I get home.

Also, one more question: ¿Can I update the BIOS booting with a CD/DVD? My computer does not have a floppy, and I don't have a USB stick that is empty.

So fast reply! Thanks!

I mean make sure the exteranl USB device isn't listed in the boot options. Some computers will have USB Device listed and it will try to boot (even if there is no OS on the usb device).

Yup, it is listed under Boot Options, like i stated in the original post, but I moved it to the bottom of the list, and saved the BIOS. Unless re-connecting the external HDD causes it to automatically rise to the top of the Boot Options, I don't have an idea of what's causing this.

Thanks.

No I mean sometimes there is something the says "external boot device" in the list of boot options. Regardless, move the SDD to number 1 so that nothing is above it.

Back
Top Bottom