Good CPU for the Price?

Astro2525

Solid State Member
Hey everyone, just wondering if this is a good price for the following PC and what kind of performance I can except out of it:

Case - NZXT Tempest 210 Mid-Tower Gaming Case (Black Color)

Motherboard - [CrossFireX] ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AMD 970 Chipset CrossFireX Support DDR3 Socket AM3+ ATX w/ 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III, RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI (Pro OC Certified)

CPU - AMD FX-4100 3.60 GHz Quad-Core AM3+ CPU 4MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology

I was debating whether or not upgrading to the FX-4170 4.20 GHz Quad-Core, not sure if it's even worth it.

Cooling - Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Single Standard 120MM Fan)

Ram - 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1866MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair XMS)

Video Card -AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card

HDD && SSD - 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD and 128GB Sandisk Sata III Boot Drive

PSU - 800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready
I realize it's a rather iffy PSU, but it's so much less expensive and yet still 80+.

Then it comes with standard optical/sound drives. Also comes with a Razer mouse/keyboard and 600Watts PMPO Subwoofer Stereo Speakers.

The total price on this PC would be: $642 Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
In my opinion, you'll get about $642.00 worth of performance, which for a gaming machine is rather low end. You'll play older titles, like Medal of Honor at great frame rates, at the highest eye candy settings.

However, when you run a game like Crysis 2, you have to back down the graphics quality considerably to obtain acceptable game play, and that game is 2 years old. The newer games coming out in the next 6 months will run poorly.

But, if you're buying that computer for every day use, for e-mails, web surfing, occasional light gaming, videos on You Tube, etc., it'll be just fine.

Problem is, you asked about performance, but never said how you'll be using it.

the 7850hd will handle crysis 2 easily and all other new games, it will play battlefield 3 on ultra quite comfortably. But as hameister said we'd need more info on what you'd use the PC for. (Also only get a branded/trusted psu!!)

Back
Top Bottom