cpu question

flame2hand

Baseband Member
Okay so I fired my Cpu i5. And I was wondering will an i3 ivy bridge compete with it. It was a i5 sandy bridge.

No, he needs to know the complete cpu designation.

Is it an i5 2310, or an i5 2500k? No one can answer your question, without knowing what processor you have!

Its a 2320. Because I don't want to spend the money for an other one. So I was wondering if the i3 3220 will do the job

Last edited:
No, he needs to know the complete cpu designation.

Is it an i5 2310, or an i5 2500k? No one can answer your question, without knowing what processor you have!
What he said ^^^
But in general, no. The i3 series are two core CPUs, the i5 series CPUs have 4 cores. The i3 caches are smaller too. If all you do is a single task at one time then you can get one that will mostly perform similarly. If you tend to multi-task then you'll find things running a little slower.

In what situations do you take advantage of multiple cores? Will a CPU with 4 cores be twice as fast as a dual core CPU when 4 or more programs are running?

Last edited:
I don't multi task. I want to play like games, I play lol, skyrim, might play WoW. Will the i3 do that? Because like I said I don't want to throw money back into my computer. I have a radeon hd 5770 graphics card too.

Whatever you get, you also need to get an after market CPU cooler and install it right so you don't fry it again. Cooler master evo 212 is good and cheap

Personally for playing any modern games, the i5 series is as low as I would go. The HD 5770 is an aging card. You'll be ok with games about 3 years old, and older, played at reduced resolution, and reduced settings. Any game in the last 2 years, played at even medium resolutions will bring that card to it's knees.

Back
Top Bottom