Urgent upgrade from stock CPU fan.

Well, you really don't have to do anything. Most every CPU can easily handle temps of 10% above the thermal rating. So, for your CPU that would be 6c or a total of 67c on average. More than likely it can run like that for some time, however it will tend to shorten it's life some what.

If you do decide to run it that way, you should remove the HSF and clean the surfaces, and replace the TIM at least once a year, and use high quality TIM.

I really can't guess about how well the H60 will work. It's not much better than a decent air cooler, and it's effectiveness depends on cool air entering the radiator, and i have a feeling that will be a problem for you as well.

You'll just have to decide for yourself which is the best solution for you.

Hmm.. Well I've just gone up to 75C, wondering if it'll raise even more. If it gets to 80 i'll definately have to do something. I think 75 is probably high enough as it is.

Would the H80 make a huge difference then?

Hmm.. Well I've just gone up to 75C, wondering if it'll raise even more. If it gets to 80 i'll definately have to do something. I think 75 is probably high enough as it is.

Would the H80 make a huge difference then?

Whew, 75c is beyond anything reasonable. Yes, the H80 was a significant improvement over the H60. If you install it, make sure that the fan is pulling cool outside air, and blowing it through the radiator and inside the case.

You don't want to be drawing the very warm internal case air through the radiator as it will not cool very well.

How positive are you that one of those fans suggested wouldn't reduce the temp by at least 10C? I think that's probably around the max temp. If you are certain it would not at least do that, I guess I have no other option but to get the H80. Thought it's a bit of a problem on my money situation.

Last edited:
All I can say is try one of those HSF is you wish. There is no absolute.

It seems to me if your stock HSF is properly mounted, and the TIM properly applied. That those other HSFs you mentioned are not going to make the 15c drop you need.

Please understand, I cannot physically see your current cooling solution setup, so all I can do is provide my best guess based on my years of experience.

It's okay, you've been of amazing help as it is, it's much appreciated.

I think i'll try and push my budget, and buy a used H80.

$75.91 -
"Item may come repackaged. Minor cosmetic imperfection on top, front or sides of item."

I'll probably end up posting here not knowing how to install the thing. I take it it's going to mount kind of similarly to a normal HSF, straight over the processor with a pipe leading... god knows where? I guess it will somehow be fixed onto some vent holes at the back of the PC?

It's okay, you've been of amazing help as it is, it's much appreciated.

I think i'll try and push my budget, and buy a used H80.

$75.91 -
"Item may come repackaged. Minor cosmetic imperfection on top, front or sides of item."

I'll probably end up posting here not knowing how to install the thing. I take it it's going to mount kind of similarly to a normal HSF, straight over the processor with a pipe leading... god knows where? I guess it will somehow be fixed onto some vent holes at the back of the PC?

Most people mount those types of coolers by removing the rear exhaust fan, and mounting the radiator there. Remember what I said earlier, make sure the fan is pulling outside cool air, and blowing into the case.

I'll keep subscribed to this thread, so you can post your results.

Clean the dust out of the fins of the heatsink. I can see a lot of dust in there by looking at the pictures. That will help immensely with your overheating problem.

Also, when removing the heatsink, you don't need to unscrew the bracket, you can simply unclip the heatsink from that bracket.

I did shortly before re-installing it.

I've been doing much more searching, and came across this site:

Corsair AMD Heatsink Temperature Comparisons - Hydro H100 FrostyTech Review

I picked out a few options, which has again made me stumble what to go for.

The H80 sounds like a bit of trouble to fit, and i've seen some worrying reviews regarding coolant going onto the mobo and breaking it. Obviously it'd be more secure if I was buying a new H80, though I was mostly looking at a used, which would make the liability of corsair a bit iffy.

(References from the site linked)

Hyper TX3 high 22.0 £17.99

Vortex Plus high 19.6 $25.98

NH-C14 (Assuming Dual-fan setup) high 12.9 £58

Hyper 212 Evo high 12.8 -- £30 ish, too big.

Hydro H80 high 12.6 £54 ish new. £48 new.

As far as I researched, all of these are under 140MM in height, so would definately fit. Width/Length dimensions I'll have to check tommorow morning though.

I'm definately leaning towards the H80, perhaps new, or the C-14, due to it being a good old-fashioned air cooler, with no worries of it breaking down. As far as I can see, most reviewers say they are very similar.

I might give a seller on Amazon a message regarding returns on a Vortex plus. See if they would take it back if I am unable to reduce temperatures from stock by -10C. I guess it could be worth a shot.

Last edited:
i have the coolermaster 212 and it is really tall an only leaves 1.5cm clearance to the side panel in my case.

image_35.jpg

Coolermaster Storm Scout Gaming Case - Black (No PSU) | SGC-2000-KKN1-GP less than £70.

i agree with the others, You need to be looking at a new case with better air flow.

Back
Top Bottom