Urgent upgrade from stock CPU fan.

Ok, it certainly appears to be the stock HSF.

I do not know what thermal paste you used nor do I know how you applied it.

However, I can say that with properly applied quality TIM, and a stock running CPU, there should be no reason for the stock HSF to allow temps as high as 68c. It seems to me that you either used a very poor quality TIM, or it was applied improperly, or perhaps the HSF is not properly mounted, or maybe all three.

If you want to try another HSF, the CM 212, is inexpensive and should perform very well on that stock clocked CPU.

I

It may have been low quality paste, I am not sure about that. Though it was applied in the right fashion. Perhaps it is mounted improperly but I doubt. Maybe it could be down to my case not being well ventilated.

However hopefully that fan would sort the problem no matter what? Are you positive it will fit? More so that it has a mount which has the right screw placements? Curious on how it even mounts to begin with.

Thank you very much for your input, it's greatly appreciated.

P.S Sorry for the noob questions.

Last edited:
Are there any other fans you could recommend? As reviewers have stated on the 212, that 158.5mm is required from the processor to the side panel.
My case is just about scraping around there, so I don't want to take the risk if there is another decent option.

Last edited:
Guess I can't help. The 212+ is the only one of the inexpensive HSF, that performs very well. All the other cheap one's are not much better than a stock HSF.

Like I said before, since the cpu is not overclocked, that stock HSF should be just fine, and should keep the max. temps to about 55c. If you are using one of those inexpensive mid-sized cases, that is not well ventilated, that could also be the problem.

Since the physical size of the HSF seems to be an issue. Why not consider a water cooled product like the Corsair H80, or is that too expensive?

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't mean to be cruel, but that case looks like a very inexpensive, glitzy, poorly designed, mid/mini/ size tower, that is very poorly ventilated. That may be your problem.

I thought the same, but didn't think it would affect it so much.

Which would be better? A new case for ~30, H40/60, or the TFX / Arctic cooler?

Surely the H40/H60 would be a more effective thing to choose? Plus there is less noise, as well as less hassle having to refit my mobo.

In my opinion, if you can afford a new case that's the best way to go. You'll enjoy it with this machine, and you'll use it for many years with other builds as well. A case like the HAF 932 series is one of the best ventilated on the market.

If you want to keep your current case, go with the H60, or the H80 if you can afford it, because it will cool more effectively, and be quieter. You'll also be able to over clock with it.

I would go for a case, but it's more the money issue that is my problem atm. I'm trying to aim for £40 at most. Do you think the H60 would decrease the temps to at least 61C at max loads?

I'm playing right now, after re-doing the thermal paste, and it seems to be sitting between 60-70C.

Back
Top Bottom