Hard Drive installation

bebbles12

Baseband Member
My used desktop Dell Optiplex 755 USFF E8400 Core 2 Duo, arrived HD DOA, should I be able to install my old hd from my other computer? I tried but it says Master Boot program missing. I thought I repaired it but it also resorts to the Blue Screen. Was there any other configuration I needed to do prior to installation within BIOS? Thanks for any advice.

You can install the other hard drive but it will not boot. As you found out. Windows creates a hardware profile when it is installed. If it doesnt match, it wont boot. You will have to reinstall Windows.

thats the issue, it starts the reinstall process but it still resorts back to the blue screen.

I attempted to reload windows to the original hard drive but it resorts back to the Blue screen as well.

^ It's probably fudged, now. If it were me, I'd just reinstall the OS. When you put the HDD into the other PC, it will likely have corrupted some of the important files/settings, while trying to work with the new PC. I think this happened to me when I first started dealing with OS installations and stuff, years ago. If you have files on that HDD that you absolutely must get back then there are ways, ways which I won't post because I'm too tired to get down that road, but I'm certain plenty of other people can.

Back
Top Bottom