RAM missing after clean install

hooligan

Solid State Member
I had to do a clean restore on my PC. During the process it has you delete all memory partitions so I did. After completion only my HDD is viewable and my RAM is not. The windows 7 OS is on the HDD along with everything else operating. I checked my BIOS menu and the RAM is showing up there and also did a health check on them and they are fine but for some reason my computer just will not utilize system memory. Is there a way to fix this? Please help

HP Pavilion p6340f
Windows 7 64-bit
Intel Core2 Quad Q8400
8GB Sys Mem
1T HDD

I'm having difficulty understanding what you are trying to say.

When you formatted the C:\ drive to re-install the OS, the process deleted the drive partitions. Please explain what you mean by "memory partitions".

I never heard of partitioning memory???

You say that your ram is not "viewable". Just where are you trying to see it?

Well not so much the partitions but all of the RAM. Everything is now running off the HDD as if I didn't have RAM installed. It shows the 8 gig in the bios but not under my computer. I went to run the clean install again but it only shows the HDD. Now my computer is slow and unresponsive. Just trying to figure out how to get my system memory usable again.

Everything is supposed to run off the HDD. Applications use memory, but they don't "run off" the memory.

Go to Control Panel\System....do you see the memory listed on the System screen as I'm showing here...

Attachments

• Desktop_2012_10_21_08_31_30_418.jpg
    Desktop_2012_10_21_08_31_30_418.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 8
yes but should it not show it under my drives? and why is not of the 8 gig being used?

No, your memory is never listed under your drives. Memory is not a drive, it's memory. Since you said, "yes" you do see it in your System screen, then the memory is being recognized by Windows. If you want further proof simply run a memory benchmark. That will actually show you the memory being used, and it's speed etc.

It seems to me you're having a rough time confusing memory with a hard drive.

No, your memory is never listed under your drives. Memory is not a drive, it's memory. Since you said, "yes" you do see it in your System screen, then the memory is being recognized by Windows. If you want further proof simply run a memory benchmark. That will actually show you the memory being used, and it's speed etc.

It seems to me you're having a rough time confusing memory with a hard drive.

unless you have a RamDrive, but that is a different conversation

Back
Top Bottom