Nvidia Geforce 8600M GS driver 306.97 won't work

akfsx

Solid State Member
For some reason while I was playing a game on my PC the computer froze and I had to restart. After I restarted and logged in these black square appears on my screen and my computer froze again so I had to restart. If I roll back my driver I will go back to the standard VGA Driver so I would have bad graphics.
Any ideas?

Those are the correct new drivers for your card. It appears perhaps something went wrong during the install. Boot up into Safe Mode (F8) and delete them and try again. Else, roll back to the 306.23 drivers: NVIDIA DRIVERS 306.23WHQL
Could be the vidcard is trying to fail, but the most common cause for a freeze is heat or PSU problems.

Do I have to install the drivers in order eg. I install Driver version 1 then install driver version 2 and then install driver version 3 and so on. Or can I skip versions like In install driver version one then install version 3 and install version 6. I've re installed 306.97 five times now but it still doesn't seem to work. I guess I will try to install 306.23. And also is there a 32bit version for 306.23 because my PC is a 32bit one.

Thanks for all this help already. http://www.computerforums.org/images/smilies/smile.gif

Last edited:
nVidia drivers are cumulative. Just un-install the current drivers then install 306.23 and see how it goes.

I start the installer and it displays a error 'Nvida Installer cannot continue'
and below that it says 'This Graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware'. So it wont let me install.
Any help about this.

Make sure you've downloaded the correct drivers for your card and CCleaner. You'll need to boot into Safe Mode, delete the drivers (if you can) then run CCleaner on the Registry. This should clean out all the old driver fragments from the Registry and get you ready for a clean install.

OK I installed CCleaner and deleted all the unwanted registry and after that I tried to install driver 306.97 again but no luck so I rolled back the driver. Can you give me the link to driver 306.23. Remember my graphics driver is Nvidia Geforce 8600M GS and I am running a 32bit Windows 7 Home Premium computer with Intel Centrino Duo and 3 gigs of RAM.

Thanks for the continued Support.

Big problem.
After I installed the driver, my computer wont boot, like you turn it on and nothing happens. Any way to fix this.

Back
Top Bottom