My Current Configeration

Fear1

Baseband Member
I need help with my Configuration, first I need to know if this setup is fully compatible. Secondly I was wondering if this motherboard is good for gaming? (I am buying this computer in the summer since I cannot afford it yet)

Here is my set up:

Motherboard:Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155 AMD CrossFireX/NVIDIA SLI with HDMI, DVI, Dispay Port Dual UEFI BIOS ATX Motherboard GA-Z77X-UD3H ($170) or Asus Lga 1155 Intel Z77 Hdmi Sata 6 GB/S Usb 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard P8Z77-V LX ($155)

CPU:Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K ($330)

RAM:Corsair Vengeance 8 GB Kit (2 x 4 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz PC3 12800 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit ($50)

Graphics Card: Asus Radeon 2 GB DDR5 Display Port GPU Tweak Utilities PCi-Express 3.0 Graphics Card HD7870-DC2-2GD5 ($260) or EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Super clocked 2GB GDDR5 2DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card 02G-P4-2662-KR ($290)

Hard Drive:Western Digital 500 GB Black SATA II 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Notebook Hard Drive WD5000BPKT ($70)

DVD drive :Sony Optiarc AD-7280S-0B Black SATA 24X Dual Layer Internal DVDRW / DVD Drive ($40)

Power supply: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX 12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply CMPSU-750TXV2 ($100)

Computer Case: NZXT Phantom 410 BLACK Mid Tower GAMING CASE ($120)

Last edited:
All looks good. I'd go with the GTX 660 card myself.

Also, a 750 watt PSU is just fine if you never intend to purchase another 660 for SLI. If you think you may want too in the future, than get at least a 900 watt supply, so you have decent headroom, and don't have to replace the PSU when you upgrade.

You may also want to give some thought to a full tower case. Much better air flow, and easier to work with for cable management.

I was wondering if I should get windows 8 (its on sale for 70 bucks) with the system or windows 7? I mean I have heard all the complains about windows 8 but all the gaming industries will make their games compatible with windows 8 since windows is probably the largest OS out there.

First...any games that are made for Win8, will certainly run fine on Win7 as well. I cannot imagine anyone building a game that will only run in Win8, especially in light of the fact that Win7 will be the dominant OS for years to come.

Second...It is my personal opinion that most businesses, especially large companies, will not invest in Win8, anymore than they invested in Vista. Most businesses maintained Xp until Win7 became a clear winner. I think Win8 offers nothing in the way of improvements, features, or Kernel changes that would make me, or anyone I know invest in it.

Of course, there are a lot of folks that just have to have the latest OS no matter what. However, most people with whom I've discussed Win7 vs. Win8 agree they they have no reason to migrate to Win8.

In fact, I just bought a new laptop a few weeks ago, because I wanted the Win7 OS, and I knew if I waited much longer, I'd be forced into Win8. The laptop came with a coupon, which would allow me to purchase Win8 for only $15.00, and I'm still not getting it.

:( this sucks that windows operating systems are so expensive, now I am going to have to add another 200 bucks towards the build :(

:( this sucks that windows operating systems are so expensive, now I am going to have to add another 200 bucks towards the build :(

Why $200???

You should be able to buy the O.E.M. version of Win7 with your hardware, for $79.00 to $99.00 depending on sale prices.

I live in canada and the prices seem to be inflated (at least on amazon.ca) well the premium version is $200... Ok I found the right prices :p

Back
Top Bottom