Bragging

But if its not an in game setting then no as my graphics card setting are set to only do what my game tells them to do

...But how does it effect my game on or off with settings on ultra and fraps found the monitoring

Ok, well, you may want to check your machine when you go home.

The game settings, such as "Ultra", "High", "8xAA", "Anisotropic Filtering", etc., have no effect on your Vertical Sync.

Vertical Sync., is designed to prevent video tearing, and other anomalies, by locking the frame rate of the game at the same frequency as your monitors refresh rate. Since most monitors, (not all, but most), use a 60Hz refresh rate, Vertical Sync, if it is enabled, or ON, will lock your game's frame rate at 60 frames per second. A game may go much lower than 60 fps, but is prevented from going higher by more than a couple of frames.

With Vertical Sync disabled, or OFF, you will most likely see much higher frame rates in many games, but some may show evidence of tearing.

Some people like to leave Vertical Sync off, so they can see what their actual frame rates are. Others, like to leave Vertical Sync on, so the don't have any tearing issues. Also, your graphic card can never actually display a frame rate higher than your monitors refresh rate.

Applications like FRAPS, may show 125 fps, but if your monitor's refresh rate is 60Hz, then it cannot actually display anything higher.

Many driver sets default Vertical Sync to "ON". Many games also default to Vertical Sync, "ON". Now do you see why I'm asking?

But if it was on dark souls would never of locked to 30 and It wouldn't drop in Fmv and loading screens would it? And wouldn't it be a good thing that it was pushing games to do 60fps if you had the power to do so. I do think my monitor is higher though as it is capable of nvidia 3d eye vision is it (can't remember) and there is a minimum on the refresh rate for 3d isn't there

Right I did some research on vertical sync and it can only cap the refresh rate of frames to the refresh rate of the monitor. So the game FPS can still go lower if it is suppose to be lower.

That means all these current games I am playing on, on my gpu can go faster and that's why they are just doing 60fps constantly because my monitor is capping them.

When I turn Vsync off I get 100 - 120 then I get that tearing happening if it goes any faster which is a lot of the time.

My option to get round this is that I am going to upgrade my monitor to 100hz as their only £200 at 27inch full hd LED. Which will give me a 100fps cap on my card.

In addition I did some research on FPS the human eye can only process 15fps but that's full field of vision. As for picking them up from a display Thomas Edison said that 47 is the minimum for displaying film via a projector. And with modern tv's (in almost every home) doing 60fps and game consoles giving you medium quality game settings with Vsync on 60fps. I learned that stupidily high FPS if not needed on small displays under 32inch as you will not notice anything higher than 60fps as the pixels aren't noticeable on a small set.

So I have now become to think when you first asked or said is vertical sync on ... Why did it matter the fact I was getting 60fps constantly meant that my graphics card was being capped by my monitor and could be outputting a lot more if my monitor could handle it.

Recourses for information

Wikipedia
Thomas Edison biography (@university library)
Overclockers, steam forums

Now you've got the idea!

This is a perfect example of why I always recommend folks Google, and research, because we learn more that way.

Now you can see why I knew that your Vertical Sync was on because it's just not normal to get 60fps in every game. Generally people will say, (as an example), they're running an average of 45 fps in Crysis 2, and average 90 fps in MW2, and 135 fps in Quake 4. This is to be expected, but 60fps in all games shows a limiting factor, which is almost always the V Sync.

Personally, I like to leave V Sync "On". Not because of tearing. With the monitor I'm using, I rarely experience any anomalies such as tearing. I leave it on because it's nearly impossible to tell the difference between 60fps, and 90 fps. At 60 fps, every game runs smooth as butter, so why make the graphics card run hotter, by upping the frame rate. There's really nothing to be gained.

Whew, glad that's cleared up. :thumb:

Or is it that your more experienced than me and your machine dont perform like mine.

Experience has nothing to do with it. The only diff between a top end machine and a mid level machine is money and the budget you have to spend.

Experience has nothing to do with it. The only diff between a top end machine and a mid level machine is money and the budget you have to spend.

Hmmm, I would disagree with your statement to the extent that a high end machine has a far more complex BIOS, with more options. High end machines require far more sophisticated cooling, and tweaking, to keep them running at their full potential. Owning a $160,000 sports car, vs. a $24,000 Altima, isn't just a matter of paying more money. It also needs constant tuning, and maintenance that does require experience and knowledge.

But crysis will still run at 47 FPS with Vsync on

Yes,...like I said earlier, V Sync simply locks in the maximum frame rate, but has no effect on the minimum. Games will run at frame rates up to 60 fps.

Back
Top Bottom