Computer illiterate, $1000 budget.

kyle497

Beta member
Hello, I need to purchase a desktop computer. I have a $1000 budget and do not want to throw the money away on a trash computer just because I'm illiterate, so I have come here to the professions for advice.

Here is what I will be doing on the computer:
Microsoft word
the internet (I run a lot of pages at once)
World of Warcraft
Diablo 3
Music (60,000 songs)
Photoshop (Super light work, editing photos and such)

That is my basic usage. The music I have is on an internal hard-drive I tore out of my old desktop so the new desktop will need to have an extra hard-drive slot.
I have been browsing the gaming computers on newegg.com and truly have no idea the differences between the computers minus the reviews and price tag.

Can the professionals of this forums please advise me as to where my $1000 would best be spent? Links would be appreciated and if you have the time an explanation of why?

First, I am truly hesitant to build my own computer. I understand the savings to be found going this path however I also think, knowing me, that there would be inherent risk of accidentally breaking stuff, zapping motherboard with a static shock or whatever Murphey's law has set for me.

To answer your question however, I actually have 2 different types. I own a brand new, 1000gb seagate barracuda SATA drive which is blank.
The music is located on a PATA 750 gb.

While my old desktop was operational, I planned on transferring the music onto the new drive. I ordered the drive and by the time it came I had fried the computer by doing a lot of electrical work on the house, turning breakers on and off, without unplugging the desktop.

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

I am not completely opposed to rebuilding and remain open to being swayed. I kind of figured I would just install the drives into a pre-built.

Also I would note, the music is not my priority. A clean slate desktop pc would be fine, although if I can get the music too that's even better.

I have my old monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Also can you explain that choice 1computeroutlet ? Your username introduces some potential conflicts of interest so would love some more detail.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom