Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit SP1 very slow to boot up

dutteridge

Beta member
Since Oct 11, 2012 I downloaded and installed some windows updates using the Windows Update Wizard.

Strangely it now takes Windows 11 minutes to start from the moment the Windows logo appears to when the desktop with login icons appear.

I thought it was the HDD, so I replaced it with a new 240GB SSD and reinstalled Windows from the installation CD. It worked fined until it downloaded an update which then caused it to be slow during start up again.

I've been trying to isolate which update it is, but because Windows Updates installs many at a time and there are so many of them, it's hard to isolate.

I thought it might be the bios, so I flashed my Gigabyte EP43T-USB Motherboard with the latest BIOS and reloaded the CMOS, but the problem still occurs.

I've already stated my Motherboard and yes it is a SATA II board. I have only had this trouble in the past week and never before since owning this system for the past 2 years.

Graphics adapter is a Gainward GTX560Ti 2G DDR5 Phantom
CPU is a Quad Core Extreme 3.4Ghz Processor running at 3.2Ghz.
ADATA XPG Gaming 4 X 8 GB KIT 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM PC
OCZ 240G Vertex III Series SSD

Can anyone help me with this problem? I am wondering whether one of the windows updates is having a problem with my hardware configuration?

Thanks, Darren

PS It takes 11mins 18 secs to load from the Windows Logo to the Windows Login screen. Samsung Monitor sits idle during this time as if no graphics connected.

Oh, also note, that I have since installed Microsoft Security Essentials and ran a full scan on all drives. I also have the latest version of Malwarebytes Pro (registered) and neither of these found any problems malware or viruses.

I then uninstalled MS Security Essentials for the latest registered version of Norton 360, updated the signature files and then performed a full virus scan and nothing detected.

I also reset the boot sector of the new drive and reinstalled Win 7 Pro 64-Bit SP1

Same results...

Could be the SSD (I'm not real fond of OCZ), but did you set AHCI mode for I/O in the BIOS before you installed the OS?

Back
Top Bottom