New USB mouse isn't detected as plug and play device and USB ports aren't working.

Bullfrog_321

Beta member
I've had the same USB mouse for a while now and haven't had a need to change it. But I got a new one recently, another USB one, and assumed it would plug and play, but my PC now decides to recognise it as a device which needs software....and I don't know or have the software to install.

I've tried plugging my old mouse in the other ports and get the same PC-tries-to-find-software-but-can't problem. Is it the mouse or is it the motherboard which is the problem? By the way, I accidently switched my PC off once and the PS/2 mouse port doesn't work, but the keyboard one does for some reason.

I have windows 7 updated, 2 GB of ram, 256 graphics card, dual core etc.

Last edited:
Hmmmm First off Welcome!

You may want to try a third mouse just to eliminate that as the problem as your first 1 seems to have broken and it is perfectly possible the 2nd one even if brnad new could also be faulty. So i would try a third mouse.

If the third mouse still doesnt work, check that you have tried every USB port on your computer (including any front ones you may have).

If it still does not work you can try and update your motherboard drivers and if required your bios.

Do any other USB devices work in the USB ports?
If they do i'd struggle to say why your PC won't recognise a mouse but will recognise other devices?

Post back your findings. . . .

And I don't think that a third mouse would work, as I've plugged my old and new mice into different USB ports, into the front ones as well and they don't get recognised as a plug and play. The only thing that works is my old mouse in the original port I've had it in since time immemorial. I've even tried a device which allows multiple USB ports from the one port and even that wasn't recognised and the PC tried to download/find software for it :( My speakers work in the other ports, funnily enough, but the mice don't. The light comes on but no one is home.

I've gone through my BIOS and tried to jiggle some things but nothing has worked. I think the motherboard needs updating or replacing, or something does. How do you update the motherboard drivers and BIOS? I'm not a total newbie but I know my way around the PC well enough.

Thanks.

P.S. this is my 2nd brand new mouse, as I took the 1st one back thinking it was broke. I know better now.

Last edited:
Ok,

What you want to do is find out your motherboard make and model.

You can download a program called Everest (Free edition), google it.
This will tell you your motherboard make and model.

Then go to google and go to your motherboards manafacturers website, they should have a link for drivers / downloads or support. In here you can download all of the latest drivers and bios for your motherboard.

On the bios download page there should be instructions on how to update your bios.

Ok, I'll download it and see if I can find an update. I was wondering how to find the make of my motherboard as I didn't know how.

Thanks. And I'll post my findings back here if I need any help.

Back
Top Bottom