Mouse Double-clicking Problem

mcswinger

Beta member
For well over a year now I have had to tolerate a really irritating issue to do with my mouse whereby you intentionally use one single left click and it will double click instead. The issue is an all round general annoyance and makes using the PC less enjoyable.

So far I have tried many different options in an attempt to troubleshoot this perennial problem. I have done the following:
  • Backed up the hard drive and reinstalled Windows 7
  • Checked mouse settings for double click options
  • Run many virus scans, including in Safe Mode
  • Tried to update the mouse drivers, but the latest version is already installed
  • Used 3 different mice and the problem stays
  • Used different ports for the mouse

The fact that the problem persists despite testing 3 different mice on the PC would suggest to me that it is a software problem. It is a bog standard dell mouse that I got with the computer almost 3 years ago.

Can someone tell me if I've overlooked something or if they've come across this issue before? It is an absolute pain in the backside to say the least!

Well my first question is are you sure that you didnt accidentally double click? Clicked on it once, then not thinking that the click went through click it again? Only to have it act as a double click instead of a single? Have you cleaned the mice and all of their contacts?

I haven't cleaned the mice or their contacts. I'm always sure of my clicking method and haven't been double clicking accidentally either.

Funnily enough, I googled the problem again and had overlooked the possibility that it was something to do with Folder Options. Under the 'Click items as follows' subheading I saw that the radio button was selected to 'Double-click to open an item (single-click to select). I've now changed this to 'Single-click to open an item (point to select) and the problem appears to have gone.

I'm guessing that when I reinstalled Windows 7 it retained the initial settings, including Folder Options, so that the problem would persist. No idea how this option was selected to double-click in the first place!

Have you tried using another mouse to see if it still happens..

This. You or someone you know should have an extra mouse (or even just borrow one to test with). Mice are cheap.

Check - Control Panel>Mouse Settings>Double Click speed.

The default setting is "Double-Click to open (single click to select)". That's how it is supposed to behave.

I've tried all of this and the problem remains. Using a wireless mouse from my family's computer has made no difference, plus I have another Dell mouse of the same model and again this does not eradicate the problem.

If you have troubles with double clicking. Right click on the icon you want, then press open. Nice and simple.

Back
Top Bottom