Is work harder thank school ?

School was a snap. College was a fun time. My job I refuse to call work because it's not in the literal sense. I enjoy what I do. I must, I've been at it for 30 years. Sure, it has its moment when you want to choke the living crap out of your crew or a guest. But for the most part it's entertaining.

Wow thanks guys this has Ben very helpful I was just wondering if I should go to college or just go straight into a job I might do college now thanks guys :)

Well for me Ive just graduated law school so been in education for like 15/16 straight years with no break . Law school was hard work , sometimes boring but whatever I was doing I would always have to be thinking about the next deadline or the next exam etc .

Atm Im working 2 really basic jobs in retail in one shop im a supervisor in the other im just a store assistant . Im enjoying it atm if im genuinely honest , the work itself is boring and not very stimulating but what I am enjoying is something I have never had ,When I am clocked off I dont have to think about anything at all work related ,these jobs arent going to develop into a career or anything so i dont need to think about career development or the like .For example today I was not working at either job so I have just enjoyed it goofing around and seeing a friend , when at university I never really had a day off . like I said at law school even lay in bed at night I was thinking about my coursework or my upcoming exam which always seemed to be just around the corner.Im thinking for now im going to stick with these 2 jobs for another 12-18 months whilst I work on my fitness levels and do some voluntary work in preparation for the actual career I do want to pursue

The career I do want to pursue I think is going to be hard , I want to join the police so I know at times its going to be physically and mentally demanding , I might have to make life and death decisions and I will have to make those agonizing decisions about excising the great deal of discretion I will have . Im looking at rising up the ranks as well so I will have career development to factor into the equation .

Last edited:
For me, High school was a breeze. College on the other hand is much more difficult. You must balance your time. I'm at an engineering school and in my 4th year. I've worked three engineering internships. Work is easier in my opinion, and more enjoyable. Much more realistic, and at 3:30, your day is over. Although engineers tend to average 45-55 hour weeks (No OT on salary), once the day is over, you are done. Here at school, I might spend a few days a week running around to meetings, classes and then have to spend the entire evening on homework. I easily average more than 40 hours a week of studying/meetings/homework. I try and get everything done before the weekend though so I can do my own things. I enjoy being busy, and being able to look back and see my accomplishments.

That being said, there are a lot of easy college routes to take. And there are a lot of good options out there without going to college if school isn't your thing.
Trades workers will always be needed. Welders for example can make $50k a year working for 5 months and having 7 months off. You work hard those 5 months, travel, 16 hour days and so on, but hard work pays off.

Well for me highschool was a bit of a rollercoaster, there were something I liked and others I didn't. I am currently in year 11 at college and completing my Certificate 2 in IT and then going on to Certificate 3 next year, I love it...

Wow thanks guys this has Ben very helpful I was just wondering if I should go to college or just go straight into a job I might do college now thanks guys :)
Achieve the highest level of education possible, it can only benefit you.

Many industries like to see a balance of education and experience. Education is extremely important but it your choice career likes to see experience (for example anything in IT), be sure to get some.

As long as you can afford it. Don't get into debt to achieve a degree with little job perspectives. It's not like the old days where any old college education could get you a job. There are easy ways and hard ways through college.

Interesting statement.

Personally i've found it depends on the individual. I'm 21 and i have friends that were in my year at school who have gone to college and university and are now in £15,000 + worth of debt, have come out of university to find they can't get a job to pay more than £16,000 a year as even tho they have graduated uni the jobs just arent out there.

So there course has currently been.

16 leave school
17 go college
18 go university -£4000
19 University -£4000
20 University -£4000
21 get a job for £16,000 a year

there current earnings at 21 years of age £4,000

Me on the other hand i started from the bottom and worked my way up. . .

16 Leave school
17 Job in a call centre £12,000 a year
18 Job on a Help Desk £16,000 a year
19 Job as a system admin £18,500 a year
20 Job as a technical support admin £23,000 a year
21 Job as a developer £30,000 a year

My current earnings at 21 years of age £99,500 . . .

I know if someone took me back in time and asked me which path to choose i'd choose the same one.

Back
Top Bottom