Which is faster at downloading a video?

can you confirm what you mean by FIOS?

I'd take a guess and say it is something Fibre Related?

The only Fibre acronyms i know are FTTH (Fibre To The Home) and FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet).

In any case ultimately it will be Fibre Optic. Yes there will be the odd circumstance where 4G may be faster but in terms of their ultimate speed Fibre is a hell of alot faster.

You never heard of Verizon FIOS?

I know that it uses fibre optics and it was also my guess that it's faster than 4G LTE. If so, how much faster? (thanks for getting back to me on this)

Last edited:
Isn't Verizon FIOS designed to go to homes? And therfore wouldn't it stand to reason it is much faster than 4G.

Can't confirm these numbers but they would seem reasonable:
3G networks offer download speeds of 600 kilobits per second (kbps) up to 1.4 megabits per second (mbps), with bursts up to 3.1 mbps.

Sprint says its 4G WiMax network can deliver average download speeds between 3 mbps and 6 mbps, with bursts up to 10 mbps. The network can deliver upload speeds of up to 1 mbps.

Verizon's LTE network, meanwhile, can deliver download speeds between 5 mbps and 12 mbps. Verizon also says it will offer upload speeds between 2 mbps and 5 mbps.

T-Mobile's HSPA+ network is not a true 4G network, but does deliver speeds faster than a typical 3G network; it's considered more of a 3.5G network than a true 4G network. T-Mobile says it can offer download speeds between 5 mbps and 8 mbps.

For comparison, a wired cable modem typically delivers download speeds between 1 mbps and 6 mbps, but some providers offer service that's delivers speeds of 15 mbps or higher. Upload speeds over a cable modem are typically below 1 mbps, averaging between 128 kbps and 768 kbps.

FIOS, I'm pretty sure, is between 15-300Mbs...depending on how much you want to pay. HERE

Isn't Verizon FIOS designed to go to homes? And therfore wouldn't it stand to reason it is much faster than 4G.

Can't confirm these numbers but they would seem reasonable:
3G networks offer download speeds of 600 kilobits per second (kbps) up to 1.4 megabits per second (mbps), with bursts up to 3.1 mbps.

Sprint says its 4G WiMax network can deliver average download speeds between 3 mbps and 6 mbps, with bursts up to 10 mbps. The network can deliver upload speeds of up to 1 mbps.

Verizon's LTE network, meanwhile, can deliver download speeds between 5 mbps and 12 mbps. Verizon also says it will offer upload speeds between 2 mbps and 5 mbps.

T-Mobile's HSPA+ network is not a true 4G network, but does deliver speeds faster than a typical 3G network; it's considered more of a 3.5G network than a true 4G network. T-Mobile says it can offer download speeds between 5 mbps and 8 mbps.

For comparison, a wired cable modem typically delivers download speeds between 1 mbps and 6 mbps, but some providers offer service that's delivers speeds of 15 mbps or higher. Upload speeds over a cable modem are typically below 1 mbps, averaging between 128 kbps and 768 kbps.

FIOS, I'm pretty sure, is between 15-300Mbs...depending on how much you want to pay. HERE

Are your speed quotes from what they currently offer? as initial tests of a 4g network showed that they could deliver speeds of 70mb per second. Understandably this was nearly a year ago when there was next to no traffic on the network but still a 10th of its original speed seems poor.

Also i watched this without speakers but this seems to suggest speeds of 36mb . . . BBC News - 4G speed put to the test

This is in the UK i thought you guys in the US were way ahead of us in this area?

No idea....just found them online and it was about the only place I could find them.

Back
Top Bottom